Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pinball

• Please log in to reply

pacaine

pacaine

• Pip
  • 6 posts
On my Sony Vaio laptop running Win XP the Pinball game won't appear - all othe XP games OK. When I click on the icon the title flashes very briefly on the screen then back to wallpaper. Any help please.

P

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do start > run > pinball

does it load up?

pacaine

pacaine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Same result exactly - a very brief flash of the title then nothing.

P

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have your xp disk?

pacaine

pacaine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
They didn't supply one with this computer, however I did make a backup dvd of the sysem.

P

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
see if you can find the pinball folder on that disk and pinball.exe heck do a file search for pinb*.* on the dvd and copy all that stuff back to the default location (which i think is either in the windows folder or system32...for whatever reason i can't remember...and the games aren't installed on this computer)

pacaine

pacaine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
That didn't work out either - the Recovery disc didn't have the Pinball folder. It's all there in C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Pinball, but it just won't open. Could it be something necessary to run this game has been erased or corrupted?

P

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
aaaallllllllll righty (awefull lot of trouble for pinball) do you have access to an actual xp disk? like...to borrow one?

pacaine

pacaine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes indeed an awful lot of trouble to keep grandchildren amused. No I don't have access to a disc. Doesn't look hopeful, but there must be a way.

P

lilyval_234_9

lilyval_234_9

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, i am having the EXACT same problem. the title screen just kinda pops up for a second and just disspears afterwards. if you end up finding how to fix this, i would greatly appreaciate if you could tell me how. if i find out how to, i'll tell you in return. i just hope someone could help us cause i really wanna play pinball. ^.^

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..with an actual xp cd this shouldn't be hard to fix...you would just need to uninstall and reinstall it through add/remove programs > add/remove windows components....

but the OP here doesn't have an xp disk...

if you don't have the xp disk...there are ALOT of aftermarket pinball games that can be gotten for really cheap

pacaine

pacaine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've cracked it. Although I don't have access to an XP disc I did find another computer running XP. I copied C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Pinball folder to a portable flash drive and transferred it to my laptop.

Thanks for your help.

P

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
lol best solution ever.
affordable and fast

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
:whistling:

Edited by nerdcentral, 19 August 2006 - 09:38 AM.