Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

network setup ASAP

• Please log in to reply

badben25

badben25

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
i need to setup a wired network for a client real soon. he has a laptop and a desktop, both have built in LAN 10/100 ports. he doesnt have an internet connection [says he uses a T1 connection in the office, saves a lot of cash :whistling: ]. what he wants is a simple wired [strictly] network that can be used for transferring files between the laptop and PC and for playing network games. he has all the equipment [LAN cable etc. etc.]. his PC is runnin Windows 2000 Professional and his laptop has windows XP which is why i cudnt help him myself cuz i have never never successfully created a network between these 2 OSs [there's some wizard that is not present in 2000 so it was never possible with my level of skills]. prob is, i havent met him or even seen his setup; he jus contacted me thru email. i've attached pics describing wat he wants. i need help really quick; client says he'll tip me rated on how easy is the setup and how quickly its all done :blink: .

currently.jpg

what_is_wanted.jpg

thanks in advance

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I'm sorry but we cannot help. If you have read our terms of use, you would have read this:

We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department.

All I can say is check this out. You'll have to use that, or Google, to solve your own problem.

Sorry. :whistling:

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
oh well i understand but can i atleast know if a network can be setup between windows 2000 and XP?
thanks

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Yes it can... you can network any Windows OS(95, 98, 2000, ME, XP) to any other Windows OS (95, 98, 2000, ME, XP) provided you install the correct TCP/IP protocols. You can even network some Linux OS's and Mac OS's to windows...

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 05 August 2006 - 12:29 PM.

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
but how? theres this 'Network Setup Wizard' that is required for XP but isnt there on 2000. so how do i do it? atleast tell me this for the sake of my own knowledge.

thanks