Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

high cup temperature

• Please log in to reply

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
my computer is running at 140-142 degrees fahrenheit, and i dont know what to do, i used speedfan 4.29, and it said temp1 is running at 140. is that normal? the other components have a green check mark, or a blue down arrow. this is a amd athlon xp 1800+ cpu

thanks

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. It is probably not an accurate reading. Here is some useful information on CPU temps:
http://forums.amd.co...showtopic=11807

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
60° Celsius is a bit higher than normal but not excessive. I had a barton 2600 that ran steady at 60° without any problems. I finally bought a big heatsink (zalman) to bring the temp down to 50°. Never could get it lower. I have a athlon 2400 that runs at 42° C at idle and runs about 55° when running programs. I overclocked the barton until it was running close to 85° and it started locking up once in a while. It was OC'ed to 3200. I finally got tired of it and sold the puter.

A good heatsink would bring your temps down somewhat, but i think your kinda stuck about bringing it down to 35-40° C.

My intel prescott 3.0 runs at 35° C and seldom sees 50°. I've quit building amd computers unless someone custom orders one. Now that the conroe is out i probably wont build any amd puters for a while.

SRX660

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
it is still running at 60c, but when i use a can of compressed air, and aim it at the cpu fan, it speeds up the fan and it cools it down to 57c, so is there anyway that i can increase the speed of the fan or can i guy a faster fan for my cpu? also this was a gift computer, and it was very dusty inside, so is there anything that the dust could be clogging to keep it hot inside?

thanks

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
i realize that in that one link (thanks autin_o) that was posted, it says that the temps can differ 5-20c, but i feel the bottom of the cpu and it is painfully hot, not quite burning, but painfully hot, at 60c, i think thats about 140f. so im pretty sure thats a good estimate. probably within 2-3 degrees. i switched fans out, im not sure how the fans are measured in all, but this is a compaq presario 6310us, im pretty sure about that. and i had the original fan in, but replaced it with this one, this one has more power connectors, and a fan on the inside that takes up air inside the case, but i can hardly feel it on the back of the computer.

if it helps i have 2 optical drives, 1 cd-rw, and 1 old dvd-rom. i have 1 160gb hard drive, and then a 4gb for the pagefile, i let the pagefile drive just sit inside the case, since the two hard drives would get really hot since they were so close, and i did not want more disasters. i also have a floppy drive, and 2 front usb ports. this is an am35 motherboard. when i received it, it was equiped with a nvidia geforce 4000, or something similar, but i removed that since it was hot, i also have a dialup modem, and a 5 port adapter for usb ports. any informatino is helpful, if you need any more specifications, im sure i could find them

thanks

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
when i boot my pc, in the motherboard properties, theres a hardware monitor, my cpu is at 55 or 54c, but when it loads windows, it goes up to 60, is that normal? is it supposed to get hot once the computer is turned on? note once i had my hand on the cpu, it would climb, it went from 55 to 65c in a under a minute. also i use this hardware sensors monitor program, if i use a amd low power mode, my cup drops to 56, but i disabled it after a minute, because i could not do anything, type, or hit start, and it would close it. so i stopped that.

are these normal occourences?

i know im asking a lot of questions, but im trying to do some testing

also, this program mbm5, motherboard monitor 5, says my pcs at 134f, while speedfan 4.29 says 144, so i am starting to wonder about that article posted. please continue to help me with this issue, as i think it is fairly acurate at times

thanks

Edited by stevecraig12, 05 August 2006 - 03:29 PM.

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
get a Zalman CPU Cooler (7000 or 9000)

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could also add an exhaust fan on the back of the case. You said you already added an intake fan (taking in air) at the front. That is good. Exhaust fan at the back to pull out air will increase air flow through the case. The link I gave previously deals with temperature questions very thoroughly. You can also download speedfan. It is free. I use it myself.

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
im sorry, i should have been more specific. i changed out my power supply, this power supply has an intake fan, so it takes air from the case into the power supply, and blows it out the back. and i use speedfan 4.29, and thats how i found out that my computer was running at 60c.

What is a Zalman CPU Cooler, and what is the difference between a 7000, and 9000. How much do they cost, and do you have a link?

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i use the 7000 this is the link http://www.compusa.c..._LED_CPU_Cooler
the 9000 cost more but its not worth the money get a 7000 (personaly i think its better) here is a link to the 9500 (they dont make 9000 i was wrong) http://www.compusa.c...rocessor_Cooler

Edited by Longhorns242, 05 August 2006 - 07:01 PM.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Zalmans are really nice, but I feel that the 9500 works a lot better than the 7000, the heat pipes help heat transfer and blows the hot air right out of the case (towards the exhaust fans), it is also compatible with more mobos since it has a smaller profile than the 7000. you might also want to check wether or not your case is properly ventillated. You can do this several ways, take off the side panel on the case and let it run for a while and if the temperature goes down it might suggest that you have a postive pressure build up in your case that doesn't give it enough cold air from outside (basically more less air going out than coming in). Also just as a thought, maybe try some arctic silver it could bring they temp down a few degrees. Mobos some time have sensors for ambient temps and cpu temps and can be viewed using utilities like ASUS Probe.

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
when i use hardware sensor monitors 4.2, theres a amd low power mode. along with that, i can make it drop my cpu temperature down to 100f. but when i have the amd low power mode on, my computer runs a lot slower. i tried taking the cpu apart to see if how dirty it was, it was pretty clean inside, but there was some white melted sticky stuff on the top of the metal cage thing. i even tried turning the fans around inside the case to try to blow air in, and i went back to the other power supply because the other was almost, if not touching the cpu frame. i knew when i touch it, the temperature rises almost immediately, so i thought it might have done the same. im not sure if getting those products would help. this computer is a compaq presario 6000, its a 2005 model. why would it be overheating so soon? i find that strange.

thanks for all your help