Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

questions about MS outlook

• Please log in to reply

old crow

old crow

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
This is an unusual question, I think... I have a separate e-mail folder that I keep personal communications between myself and my friends/family- from both my Sent Items folder and Received Items. However, it has become obvious to me that members of my family are reading all my emails and I'd like to be able to keep them from doing that. It's not that the emails are especially personal, but it's annoying to see that others are reading them behind my back! So, is it possible to either have a password or encode them somehow (or remove them bulk and store them somewhere else on the computer?) I would resort to copying and pasting into a word document and saving them that way, but that's a lot of work...

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It depends....what version of outlook?

What version of windows?

Besides preventing them from reading the specific email in the specific folder, so they need access to outlook for other reasons (normal email, calendar, etc?

There are several thoughts, most obviously a multi-user system where each person has his/her own user account. That is the most ideal solution.

Then, password protect your user account, they have their own user accounts and as far as everyone is concerned each person has his own computer.

old crow

old crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have the 2003 version of Outlook and windows XP... I'm not very computer literate... sorry. I don't think (although it's a good idea) that a multiple user system will work just because of the problems associated with it (won't go into detail here). Is there anything else I can do? Ideally I'd like to be able to move all my e-mails into a separate file and store them in my main "my documents" folder...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you didn't answer all my questions....do you want the others to be able to access SOME of the email...in other words, do you want to be able to password protect some messages, but not others?

old crow

old crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yes- exactly. I'd like to be able to have them access the main "inbox" but not my personal folders.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, this is what I would do in your circumstances (which are admittedly kinda wierd.

Open Outlook

From the top menu, choose FILE > NEW > OUTLOOK DATA FILE

Of the two choices, select OFFICE OUTLOOK PERSONAL FOLDERS FILE (PST)

click OK

You will get a CREATE OPEN OUTLOOK DATA FILE BOX, which points to a folder deep within your profile folders...DON"T CHANGE THIS LOCATION

In the FILE NAME BOX on the bottom, type something like PRIVATE, then click OK

In the name box, where it says PERSONAL FOLDERS, change it to the same name as the above step (ie PRIVATE)

Leave the encryption settings alone.

Type a password that you will remember in the PASSWORD box, then type it again in the VERIFY PASSWORD box. DO NOT FORGET THIS PASSWORD
DO NOT CHECK THE SAVE PASSWORD IN YOUR PASSWORD LIST. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT.

Click OK

This will immediately bring up a personal folders password box. Type in the password from above.

In your FOLDER LIST, on the left of OUTLOOK, you should not see a PERSONAL FOLDERS box with all the normal boxes. Below it you should see a folder marked PRIVATE, with a + next to it. RIGHT Click the folder, choose NEW FOLDER, and a dialogue box will come up asking you to name it. Just call it something like HOLD or PRIVATE or anything you want.

The PRIVATE folders should expand.

You can now click on any message in the PERSONAL FOLDERS inbox, and DRAG IT TO THE PRIVATE FOLDER YOU JUST CREATED, and it will move.

At this point, you have two options.

If you simple close Outlook, the next time you open it, OUTLOOK will prompt you for a password to PRIVATE. If the person opening OUTLOOK doesn;'t know the password, they can hit CANCEL at the password prompt and they will be able to view everything from the original PERSONAL FOLDERS, but if they attempt to open PRIVATE they will be asked for a password.

The only drawback to this is that they have to hit cancel each time they open OUTLOOK to get into the normal folders.

OR, you can RIGHT CLICK ON PRIVATE when you are done with it, and choose CLOSE PRIVATE. Now, when someone opens OUTLOOK, they will open it as normal, and no private will be present. To reopen private for yourself, choose FILE > OPEN > OUTLOOK DATA FILE, and choose the PRIVATE.pst file. You will be prompted for a password and it will behave as a normal folder for you again. The plus to this is that if you're careful, the rest of your family may never know you have these messages saved.

This is not as secure as separate usernames on a computer, but it takes a bit of knowledge and ability to get into the messages, knowledge most people don't have.

Do you understand?

old crow

old crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks! I think I've got it all figured out here...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Glad I could help! Good luck with those pesky, nosey family members :tazz: