Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe crashing

• Please log in to reply

DFG

DFG

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello, I am brand spanking new to this forum, but I need some help with my computer. I have windows xp professional, and I installed a program called spyware doctor. After the program was installed i noticed tremendous lag and lower performance. I uninstalled spyware doctor and this is where a real problem began.

IF I try to open say My computer, or My Documents and internet explorer, my explorer.exe crashes, and nothing is able to open the screen just flashes and my task bar re-appears. All other programs mozilla, wmp, etc will still open fine. I searched for spyware with many different programs and have also virus scanned, but nothing seems to be working.

Could someone please help me with this problem? I do not wish to reformat unless the problem is not fixable.

Thank You
Doug Fargo

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi DFG...

Try running a System Restore (from System Tools) to a date before you first installed Spyware Doctor...see if that straightens out the explorer problem.

wannabe1

DFG

DFG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks for the reply, I already system restored as far as i can go back, but it still doesn't work... its a weird problem..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you access the run command ok? (Start > Run)

If so, can you start the Registry Editor by typing regedit in the box and clicking "Ok"?

DFG

DFG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
sorry for the late reply. but yeah. i can get into the regedit..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's check a few values in the registry...one at a time to avoid any confusion.

In Registry Editor, expand (click +) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and click on .exe

The values in the right pane for this key should be as follows:

(Default) = exefile

Content Type = application/x-msdownload

Is this what you see?

DFG

DFG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yep.. those 2 are the only values there..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

DFG

DFG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the reply keith, I searched before I created this topic, and I have already ran the sfc /scannow and it updated the few dll files it needed, but still no luck after the reboot..

Its very annoying lol

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you use add and remove or the programme's uninstaller

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go back to Registry Editor and expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down to Shell. Is the value (under the Data column) Explorer.exe?

DFG

DFG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Go back to Registry Editor and expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down to Shell. Is the value (under the Data column) Explorer.exe?

yes it is.. Exlorer.exe

is it not supposed to be?

DFG

DFG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Did you use add and remove or the programme's uninstaller

I installed the program more than once because sometimes when it was installed it wouldn't crash, but when uninstalled it crashed.

So i used the program uninstaller and add and remove..

DFG

DFG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
bump....

I still haven't figured it out yet, I might need to reformat which sucks..

Anymore help?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update