Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble connecting internet

• Please log in to reply

xStaciex

xStaciex

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My dial up internet recently started connecting at lower speeds than it usually does. Sometimes I can't even get it to connect at all, I just get "Error 619" Something about the remote computer not responding. Other times it will show that its connected, but when I try to go to any website, it won't load. Yahoo/AIM won't connect.. as if the internet wasn't connected at all. So I have to log off and on.. until it finally works, sometimes it takes up to an hour just to get a speed that will work. Do you know what could be causing this? What should I do about it? Pleease help. Thanks

-PS
I live in a small town, dial up is the only thing offered here, if I could get highspeed I wouldn't even bother with this.. but I'm stuck with dial up until I move in about 4 months. :whistling:

Advertisements

blacklagoon

blacklagoon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi xstaciex.
i just thought i'd reply to your message by saying that i live in the united kingdom,and i have been getting exactly the same error code message as you,when i try to access the internet.i am on dial up also.it has been going on for about 6 - 7 days with me.i also get continually disconnected,websites come up as server error 718,and when i do get online,website and file downloads are impossibly slow.
i thought i would let you know,so you know you are not alone with the problem.
if anyone can help,xstaciex and myself would be most grateful and appreciate it very much.
i am on dial up,i have phoned them and discussed this problem,but all they do is get me to change my dial up number,which does not help.they say there is nothing wrong with things on their side.they got me to phone the dial up number,and see if it emitted a high pitch screech sound,which it did.they said it is ok.
if you and i are both having the same problem,so far apart,then it looks to me like dial up, internationally,is pretty dodgy at the moment.i wouldn't be surprised if it's being done deliberately,to strangle dial up,so we are forced to buy boadband or dsl.

blacklagoon

blacklagoon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i have just found out on a website,that one of the 12 microsoft security patches that have benn released,cause people on dial up to have big problems accessing the internet.microsoft are working on a fix for it,and it will come out as a new patch when it is ready.
here is a link to a page about it.

http://www.computerw...p;liFlavourID=1