Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

REFORMATTING HELP MY CPU IS BEING RETARDED

• Please log in to reply

Dorian

Dorian

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have a dell dimension 2400... im trying to reformat my computer because it is going crazy with viruses and stuff... however, my computer is being really retarded... i have the windows cd and everything however first of all i rebooted my comp with the cd in there... however, instead of running the cd, my computer continued on to user accounts... i changed the order to cd drive c: first in the BIOS or whatever... however, it still does not work... I tried the other way by right clicking drive C: and clicking format... however, even with all windows closed, it keeps saying that it cannot format because some window is running =.=; I am in desperate need of help... i need to reformat my computer b4 it goes crazy T_T... please help thank you...

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you put some CD ROMS in the drive to check the drive works

When you changed the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, did you press F10 to save the change then type Y to confirm then press enter

As the PC boots with the XP CD in the drive, do you see press any key to load from CD

Dorian

Dorian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
my cd rom works... am i supposed to put the order as IDE CD-ROM drive as number 1, C: Hard Drive as number two and Diskette Drive as three?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That should do it, check the changes have been saved

Dorian

Dorian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you very much! It turns out that not only did the order was off, but i put the cd in the wrong drive =.=; ... thanks for your help it is much appreciated... now i can finally reformat.. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know