Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot media

• Please log in to reply

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I just bought all of the components for a new computer. I hooked everything up and fired it up with the windows boot disk #1 in the 3.5 drive and my windows XP Pro disc in the CD drive. When it started to boot it gave no beeps during post but just gave this message on the screen "Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in selected boot device". Now I hooked the rom drive up as a secondary master because the cable wouldn't reach so that I could use it as a primary slave. Is this the problem? I have checked and double checked the connections and everything seems to be in place. Any ideas where to start trouble shooting. By the way, I am using an IDE HD not SATA. That is why the ROM drive is the secondary master. Any ideas anyone?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Have you checked the boot order in the setup menu? It may be that it is set to only boot from the hard drive, not the floppy or the cdrom. If it has the cdrom listed, is the cd that you are using bootable, or does it need to boot from the floppy?

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Yes, I even set it for the ROM first but it is always the same. Anything else to check?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Have you made sure that the disks work? Also, have you check in the setup menu that the floppy and the CDROM can be seen? You might check the cables to make sure that everything is connect properly.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I checked the drives in the setup. They are recognized. I will test the HD to be sure that it didn't arrive DOA. It's a western Digital Caviar 80GB. Is there anything there that might cause it? I have heard of people having trouble formating them in the past.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts

Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in selected boot device

Have you tried booting without the floppy? It isn't needed if you have a valid XP disc.

:whistling:

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Yes, I also set the ROM drive to first boot device and the HD to the second. I still got the same error. I am going to test the HD to be sure that it is not DOA. In the mean time if you think of anything else, let me know.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Since you have the floppies, are you sure that the cdrom is bootable? It may need the floppies to be used, so you might set the first boot device to be the floppy.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
By Joe I think I got it! Of the boot disks that I created disk number one didn't format correctly and was corrupt! :blink: I made new disks in a last desperation attempt and it worked! :whistling: All is well...for now. Thanks for your insight anyway. I really appreciate your help! :help: Problem solved.