Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP help

• Please log in to reply

ottokin

ottokin

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have been having trouble with my Compaq Presario 5004US,
running Win XP Home
518 Ram
1.1 ghz
AMD Athlon

I can not boot it up with or without the windows cd. I have tried to run the recovery disk and after loading whatever it has to load I get a Disk Error. Call HP tech support. All it does is shuts down and reboots to the point of the splash screen then shuts down and tries to reboot again. Every now and then I get a Machine_Check_Exception blue screen telling me that windows shut down before damage to the computer occurs. After letting it sit for 3 days I tried it again and actually got into the log on screen before it shut down. I tried to reload windows and by booting from the CD it loads all the drivers and necessary files but freezes at the blue screen telling my windows is loading. What's up and what can I do to fix this? Please help with any information. I replaced the CPU fan because the old one made noises thinking maybe this was the problem. I have tried to safe mode, start windows normally, and also return to previous windows settings at bootup and still nothing works. I can get to the command prompt with no problem, but being a novice, I'm lost at that point.

:tazz:

STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"

Hardware Failure: Contact Original Equipment Manufacturer

Thank you for submitting an error report. The error was likely caused by:

A hardware failure reported by your Central Processing Unit (CPU)

This behavior occured because your computer processor detected an unrecoverable hardware error and reported it to Windows. For more information, contact the manufacturer of your computer.

Note: As a general rule, Microsoft recommends you back up your files on a regular basis in case of any unexpected hardware failures.

Additional Technical Information

Error Message: STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)

My Webpage

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Read this:
http://support.micro...=329284&sd=RMVP

When changing the fan, is it possible you jostled the ram?

Try reseating it.

Also, when you removed the CPU fan, did you clean the CPU, and then use a thermal compound (thin coat) like arctic silver? Did you make certain the cpu fan sensor was properly attached?

ottokin

ottokin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
When I changed the fan, I was already having the problems but not to the extreme as it is now. I was able to at least get online and run, now I can't even get into windows. I checked the ram and they are all seated tight. I did not use thermal compound at all and what is the cpu fan sensor. I'm a novice.. please bear with me...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

When I changed the fan, I was already having the problems but not to the extreme as it is now. I was able to at least get online and run, now I can't even get into windows. I checked the ram and they are all seated tight. I did not use thermal compound at all....

View Post

:tazz: no heat compound...yikes.

Let's back up....did this computer have a CPU with a heatsink and then a fan ontop of the heatsink?

The heat compound goes between the CPU and the heatsink...did you remove the heatsink?

If so, start there. Your CPU is heating up like a small sun and this could be a big part of the problem.

First, stop turning your computer on. It's amazing you haven't toasted your CPU already. I've seen CPUs fried in less than five seconds...in fact, I think the last one I saw fried was an athlon 1100

Take it apart,thoroughly clean the CPU, then get some heat compound like arctic silver and spread a THIN coat on the cpu--about the size of a grain of rice (uncooked) Spread it, then place the heatsink/fan back on top.

.... and what is the cpu fan sensor. I'm a novice.. please bear with me...

View Post

the CPU fan likely had a small two wire dongle hanging off of it that plugged into the motherboard...the motherboard measures the speed of the fan, and it if it doesn't sense a fan, it may shut off the computer to protect itself.

ottokin

ottokin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
wow, I didn't realize the thermal paste was THAT important. I will get some of it this weekend and reapply the fan. Yes I have the heat sink between the fan and CPU. I removed the old heatsink to install the new one. The fan came with a wire connector attached to 3 wires. All I did was plug the connector in. The fan is running as the machine is turned on. I will not start the computer till I have this paste put on. I will follow-up with this post to you by Sunday. Thank you.

ottokin

ottokin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Follow-up to previous post.
Can the paste be purchased at Radio Shack? Or where would I buy it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and make certain the three wires are connected to the proper place. It should be keyed so it can only go on one way.

Where did you get the fan? Also make certain it is a properly rated fan for your CPU. If you grabbed an old p2 cpu fan, which is about the same size, or a GPU fan, which is also about the same size (for a laptop), it will not spin fast enough to properly cool your CPU

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You can get thermal compound at radio shack, but a computer store would be preferred.

Arctic silver is the best choice.

I bought some thermal paste at a radio shack...generic stuff. Arctic silver cut my temp on same cpu by almost 9 degrees centigrade.

ottokin

ottokin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes the connector would only go in 1 way. I purchased the fan/heat sink at Radio Shack. The gentleman crosschecked the CPU and told me this is the one.
Fan which was purchased

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yeah, 5000 rpm is adequate

I checked the heatsink compound at Radio Shack ...doesn't give much info as far as specs are concerned.

ottokin

ottokin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well at least I did something right... :tazz:

I'll pick some Arctic Silver up this weekend. There is a small computer repair shop up the road from me, he may sell it or maybe just get a dab from him. I'll follow-up this weekend. Thank you..

ottokin

ottokin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Back again,

Sorry, prior commitments kept me away for awhile.
I got the thermal paste and applied it to my CPU and heatsink. I was able to turn on the computer and sign on but I still got the error message in the beginning of the windows desktop telling me that windows just recovered from a serious hardware error. With the option of sending or not sending a report.

??
Kerry
My Webpage