Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need info on IE 7,, beta 3

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
Have been thinking about downloading the IE7 beta 3 version, just to have a see whats new and how its panning out, however, i am not going to do so until i have some advice first.

Does anyone have any advice, or indeed use the beta 3 version of 7 ????

Dont want to jump in blindfolded.

Just fancied taking a look.
cheers, kev.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Beta software has the potential to break your Windows installation. Therefore if in any doubt whatsoever, don't install Beta software onto your computer, because if it breaks, Microsoft will not help you.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thats good enough for me,,,,thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've got a slightly less doom filled account of ie7, i have been using it since beta 1 and have had no issues whatsoever (the i could diffinitevly say "yeah...ie7 did that")...in my opinion it's pretty clean and i personally like it...(i even *gasp* prefer it to firefox) the tabed browsing is snazzy and the rest of the features...well...i don't use alot of them but when i tested things like the rss feeds they worked fine...also as the beta's have progressed the issues that the original beta had with uninstallation have been cleaned up so if you do try it...it is possible to revert back to ie6 without many issues

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks dsenette,
I might install it if there is no difficulty in uninstalling if i dont like it , or have major problems.
What issues are you talking about with the uninstall ?? I know the earlier betas had major probs with uninstallation.
Might it be worth waiting until the next beta comes out ?, or is this beta 3 the last one before the full IE7 comes out .
I havent read of any plans for a beta 4, or for the full products release either.
Cheers, kev.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...the original beta could be pretty funky to uinstall without some registry modification...bu that was a rellatively easy one to fix...after that i haven't noticed too many other uninstall issues other than user error..or freak accidents...

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Yes, IE7 Beta 3 uninstalls without a hitch here. Also ran okay when I used it. However, if you use, or intend to install Photoshop Elements 4, IE7 Beta 3 prevents Elements 4 from being able to update itself via Adobe's online updater. Consequently I uninstalled IE7 and now Elements is okay. This issue is well known on the Adobe forums, that's how I learned about it.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
Thanks for the replies :whistling:

Have installed the beta 3 IE7, and i must say i like it,, pretty snazzy ( or is it just cos it looks different !)
No, in all seriousness it is quite cool. The layout and tabbing is excellent,, plenty of good things to come with the final , finnished product.

Only thing i have noticed though, which is cheesing me off a lot, is, when opening up explorer, it takes anything up to 15 seconds to open up my homepage (google).
Once its open, favorites and web searches open up as fast as they ever did, its just the initial clicking on internet that takes time. Says "detecting proxy settings " at the bottom of the page,, but boy, does it take some time.
Is this a common bug with beta 3,, or is there a fix for this that i dont know about ???

So far, am quite glad i downloaded, gives me an idea what to look forward to later this year ( or next year, or the year after !!!! )

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there is a slight hessitation on startup (mine's a little faster than yours...but...mine's not autodetecting settings)...but...it still starts faster than FF

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks for that,,, at least its not just me.
Hope they sort it out for the final release, whenever that may be !

PS:Like the trunk monkeys,,,,,,,,, got to get me one of them :whistling: