Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

norton has crashed xp

• Please log in to reply

Flamey

Flamey

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

I had just loaded the GoBack feature that comes with Norton Systemworks 2005 and had to restart my computer for it to take affect.

Unfortunately I left the disc in and once the computer started with the usual compac start screen all I get is a flashing cursor. I took it out and now cannot get my computer to even attempt to start from the hard drive :tazz: It always wants to use a cd.

I have tried to repair windows using the inbuild repair but it does not bring up a select repair on the 2nd screen, only on the 1st one (I had used the inbuild repair a few days ago when I had problems after trying to correct a spyware problem so I know it's there and does work). When I try to reinstall windows it says it cannot install windows on the partition but if I delete the partition it will make a new one. However I would like to avoid this if at all possible due to some content that I don't wish to loose.

Is there anything else I can try or will I have to start all over again?

Thank you

oh yeah I have a Compaq X1404AP Laptop running XP home.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Not that I have to say this to you, but never ever ever install norton goback on a windows xp machine with system restore...I cannot tell you how many problems I have had to deal with because of this....

can you get into safe mode? I think you should be able to if I recall this problem from the last time I battled with it....

Tap the f8 key once a second after rebooting (when you see the splash screen/memory count up)

If you can, UNINSTALL NORTON

I assure you that once you do that, you will be able to run a repair, but you may not need to...

Flamey

Flamey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

(when you see the splash screen/memory count up)

I don't even get that up! It doesn't even try to access my hard drive at all.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no splash screen? No big red COMPAQ?

Flamey

Flamey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
nope, I only get the Compaq screen with the F10=ROM Base setup

the cursor appears after that.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, interesting....

OK, I see you've got a windows cd....

I've got an idea, but I need to install the recovery console on a machine and test it out...be back shortly

Flamey

Flamey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
okay, thanks :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Use the repair at the first screen....to repair a windows xp installation using the recovery console.

This will eventually bring you to a command prompt (you will need your administrator password....hope you remember it. (btw, if it is XP HOME, the password is blank--meaning nothing if you did not change it, just hit enter).

you should only need this one command....but just in case, type at the command prompt:

MAP

write down everything

Now type

fixmbr, restart your computer (you can type EXIT and hit enter, too)

If that doesn't work, report what you saw after typing MAP

Flamey

Flamey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks. I'll try this now

Flamey

Flamey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
um, I get this message come up when I type in fixmbr:

**CAUTION**

This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.

FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessable.

If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not continue

MAP brings up

C: NTFS 38147MB \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
D: \Device\CdRom)

is all of this correct? Do I say yes where it asks me to write a new MBR?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, at least we are seeing the correct device....that's a good sign...now...let me go pull out my winxp resource kit and take a read....there is a second command that mightprove useful

Flamey

Flamey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK....hmmmm...how to move ahead.

There are a couple avenues.

Reading through Symantec's site (they hide the information I want most), it appears that Goback adjusts BOTH the master boot record and the partition table. This is speculation.

Therefore, the other command that MIGHT work, called fixboot, is unlikely to work, since it fixes the mbr, but not the partition table.

That would seem to indicate fixmbr is the one we want, which replaces both the MBR and the partition table.

There is a third option that I was unaware of...there is a utility on the norton cd that will forcibly remove goback, called Gb_prog.exe

go here:

http://service1.syma...0&osv=&osv_lvl=

That looks...promising. I think I would try that first. I have no idea where it might be on your norton 2005 disk, but do a search...look for folders called support, or tools.

You can make a windows 98 boot disk by visiting www.bootdisk.com

There is also a possibility that goback installed a boot program, read here:

http://service1.syma....0&csm=no&tpre=

I would try this last option first, if you can, then look for the Gb_prog.exe program.

If neither works, let me sleep on fixmbr or fixboot over night....brain is getting mighty tired. Maybe another option I am just not getting right now.

I think that ultimately, even if the two norton solutions fail, a fixmbr combined with a repair installation will get us where we want to go....but let me sleep on it....

there is another option called diskprobe....normally use it for servers when I've backed up the partition table...seems to me that windows xp copies its partition table to the end of the disk for such emergencies, but I cannot find any thing on this at the moment.

Flamey

Flamey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks a lot for your help and I will give the last couple a try and let you know.

Enjoy your sleep - you've deserved it :tazz:

Flamey

Flamey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

There is a third option that I was unaware of...there is a utility on the norton cd that will forcibly remove goback, called Gb_prog.exe

go here:

http://service1.syma...0&osv=&osv_lvl=

That looks...promising. I think I would try that first. I have no idea  where it might be on your norton 2005 disk, but do a search...look for folders called support, or tools.

I used this one and it worked!!!!!

I now have my system back and working (and I'm removing GoBack as I type) and everything is there.

*tight huggles*

Thank you very much for all your help!!! You've saved me heaps of time and money.

:tazz: