Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Expanding drive space

• Please log in to reply

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I have a drive that has an OS already installed on it but the set amount of drive space is much smaller than the maximum space the drive reads when installed. OS is like 23gb where drive is 114gb, also I blessed this drive with the manufacturer's software rather than using windows to do it. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how I can create more space?

The main reason this question interests me is that I may have to drop alot of files from another drive that won't boot.[See: 95, 98, ME forum]

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Use something like Partition Magic to resize the partition.

You could also in theory use Ghost to do this, but its twice the work.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I have never used any program like that before though I am aware of it. Is there any chance that I could lose data from my current drive if I used something like that. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by plehsdeen, 05 August 2006 - 03:28 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would just use disk management to partition the extra space as a seperate partition which is something that is handy to have as a seperate partition from the OS is maintained even if the OS is reinstalled or replaced.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I typed compmgmt.msc but nothing. I looked I didn't see disk management for ME.

Edited by plehsdeen, 05 August 2006 - 06:51 PM.