Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with WAP (totally in the dark here)

• Please log in to reply

dustman

dustman

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, all,

I have a cable modem which I have connected to a Netgear WGR614v5 wireless router. The original idea was to be able to run one computer plugged into the wireless router by ethernet cord, and a second computer connected through a Netgear wireless adapter.

After a great deal of hassle with the Netgear support desk, the connection was finally made, but the wireless adapter quit working after a couple of months, never to rise again, so I finally just gave up, and connected both computers directly to the wireless router by ethernet cords.

A few months ago, I purchased a new HP laptop that gets great wi-fi reception, evidently from my Netgear wireless router clear at the other end of the house. Now I am hearing that I should immediately activate WAP to protect my computer(s). I hear something called WEP, which isn't any good, WAP being much better.

Now, I know a little bit about computers, but this wireless stuff is over my head. What is this WAP? How do I activate it? Is it something I do to the computer? To the router? Is the router I mentioned (Netgear WGR614v5) capable of whatever, or do I need a newer one? Also, since my 2 main computers are connected by ethernet cords to my wireless router, are they safe from the infamous wi-fi desperados or do THEY need to be WAPPED?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everything I have found on the net emphasizes my need for WAP, but not how to actually GET it!

Thanks,

Dusty

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello dustman and welcome to G2G,

I am currently assisting another person with this exact same question if you want to follow along. If you need to ask a question just post it in your thread as I will be watching it also.

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, SpaceCowboy706,

Thanks for the invitation to follow along on the WAP thing.

I know I am on a cable modem, attached to a wireless router, and have 2 computers connected via ethernet cords to that router. My other computer is a wi-fi laptop, evidently receiving signal from the wireless router.

I appreciate any and all information/help you can give me.

Best wishes,

Dusty

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Let me know if you want to go the WEP or WPA route and i will assit you in setting it up.

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello, SpaceCowboy706!

WAP, please.

Thanks!

Dusty

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
1. Open a Web browser and in the address bar type in 192.168.0.1 and hit enter.
2. You will now get a Box asking for a Username and Passwaord...default user name of admin and default password of password.... then hit Ok
3. Click Wireless Settings in the main menu.
4. Click Security Settings in the Setup section and select WPA-PSK for the
Security Type.
5. Enter a word or group of 8-63 printable characters in the Password Phrase box, the Longer the Passphrase, the least likely someone will crack it. <Write it down and dont lose it>
6. Click Apply to save your settings.
7. Close out the Web browser
8. Click on Start
9. Click on Run
10. Type in: ncpa.cpl and hit Ok
11. From the network connections window Right click on your wireless card and select Properties.
12. From the Wireless Network Connection screen now select the Wireless Networks tab
13. In the Preferred Networks area Remove your SSID Broadcast that your connecting to.
14. Click the OK button taking you back to the Network Connections window
15. Again, Right click on your wireless card and thi8s time select View Available Wireless Networks
16. Now from the Wireless Network SSID Broadcast list find your broadcast and verify that it has a Little Gold Padlock on it and says WPA in parenthesis. If it does not then stop here and post back to let me know. If it does then continue on.
17. Select the broadcast and click the Connect button
18. After a second or more :whistling: you will get a screen that asks you to enter the passphrase in the first blank and the second blank then click the Ok button
19. When it is done connecting, verify that you can get on the internet. Post back anbd let me know.