Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq - want to rebuild or build a new PC

• Please log in to reply

JRex

JRex

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi~

Need help! I have a Compaq computer my aunt gave me, because it didn't work. I got it to run and running 98. Worked only a few days and I have not been able to get it to work...4 errors come up.

X Cannot find the file 'adinit'
! Could not load or run 'adinit' specified in the WIN.INI file

X Cannot find the file 'ad.exe'
! Could not load or run 'ad.exe' specified in the WIN.INI file

Could I buy a Windows XP and some how wipe the computer and start over?

Could I buy a new Motherboard and CPU?

I want this for my wife to check email and my 2&4 yr old to play on the internet and games.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Do you know what model Compaq it is? There should be a label on it someplace. Did it come with a recovery/restore cd?

Edited by austin_o, 05 August 2006 - 03:13 PM.

JRex

JRex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'll look for the model...but no disks what so ever. I only have the tower.

Thanks! :whistling:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
With the model number, you can go to the hp website (compaq is hp now) and go to the support section. There you can probably find a manual for it which will give you details about the system. This will enable you to weigh all possible options, such as upgrading to W2K or XP, hardware upgrades etc. There is a label on the back of the tower that will enable HP to tell you about possible upgrades as well (this is the Compaq build label).