Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Orphan Files after Using Uninstall in Control Panel

• Please log in to reply

coreman

coreman

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Im passing down my laptop to my daughter and in doing so, I uninstalled all of the programs that she would never use using Control Panel "Add or remove Programs".

I should add I haven't used this computer in (2) years so I also uninstalled old versions of programs that have since been updated.

System is IBM T30 with XP Pro and up to date SP2, including all IBM hardware updates as well.

I found (3) problems:

1. Uninstalled old Lotus Smartsuite but during reboot cycle I get message "Windows cannot open this file; Lotus Quickstart.Ink.disabled" and asks if I want to go to internet to identify it or if I want to point it to a program to open it.

2. I uninstalled old version of Spybot Seach and Destroy and now get "Spybit S+D Resident; Spyblocked Avenue A" when I change websites/webpages. How do I stop this message? I will update later to newer version of SB but would like to get rid it first.

3. I uninstalled Norton Systemworks 2004 and the old Norton Antivirus because I am running Bitdefender 9 now. However I forgot to go in and clean out the Quarantine Files before uninstalling. Now I've got (2) sets of quarantine files; one under c:/program files/Norton Systemworks and the other under c:/program files/Norton Antivirus and both are loaded with the "netsky" bug of a couple of years ago...I tried to simply delete them but I wasn't allowed and my BitDefender went nuts....blocking all the viruses. I still have the CD for Systemworks but can't find the one for Antivirus...

Best regards and thanks in advance.

Advertisements

coreman

coreman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Can anyone help me on this??

Thanks in advance!!

Cman

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
1. Uninstalled old Lotus Smartsuite but during reboot cycle I get message "Windows cannot open this file; Lotus Quickstart.Ink.disabled" and asks if I want to go to internet to identify it or if I want to point it to a program to open it.

Try START>RUN> MSCONFIG and STARTUP, try finding that file in the destination list of your startup items, and disabling it.
Posted Image
Also look in START>ALL PROGRAMS> STARTUP and see if you see a blank file there (blank -file that has no available source to open it.

Other than that, I suggest re-installing the program, restarting, then uninstalling it, then restarting again.

2. I uninstalled old version of Spybot Seach and Destroy and now get "Spybit S+D Resident; Spyblocked Avenue A" when I change websites/webpages. How do I stop this message? I will update later to newer version of SB but would like to get rid it first.

Try updating SB, reinstalling it, update its definitions, then either keep it on or remove it once again. It appears when you installed it first time the resident shield took control of IE protection, when you uninstalled it, it left its settings in.

If you dont want to install it again, then go to CONTROL PANEL> INTERNET OPTIONS>
ADVANCED (SUBMENU AT TOP) RESTORE INTERNET SETTINGS, then click submenu PROGRAMS< and RESET WEBSETTINGS... Sometimes this will take away changes SB has made to your browser settings...

3. I uninstalled Norton Systemworks 2004 and the old Norton Antivirus because I am running Bitdefender 9 now. However I forgot to go in and clean out the Quarantine Files before uninstalling. Now I've got (2) sets of quarantine files; one under c:/program files/Norton Systemworks and the other under c:/program files/Norton Antivirus and both are loaded with the "netsky" bug of a couple of years ago...I tried to simply delete them but I wasn't allowed and my BitDefender went nuts....blocking all the viruses. I still have the CD for Systemworks but can't find the one for Antivirus...

Possibly download a free tool for antivirus, try www.download.com and search for AVG free addition. Update it after installing, and scan. After that try and remove these folders and if it does not work let me know.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 11 August 2006 - 07:48 AM.

coreman

coreman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
UPDATE:

1. Thanks, I disabled the Quickstart from the Startup menu so the file doesn't try to start anymore.

Any idea how to clean this from my system?

2. Spybot updated and running....no more popups. I guess I'll leave it running...

3. NOT RESOLVED...I pointed BitDefender 9 to the folders holding the viruses and it reported them and "deleted" them yet they still show up under Windows Explorer where I can't delete them. Is there a program that I can run to delete files/folders that Windows doesn't allow to be deleted?

Many thanks again!!

C'man

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi coreman...

See if Move On Boot will get them before Windows can lock the files.

wannabe1