Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

flash Disk sizes

• Please log in to reply

smak786110

smak786110

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello....
I just noticed that 1GB flash-disk when I open it in properties and see the full size it shows the total space is 983MB :whistling:
How come????
Its a new flash-disk.........Also i tried with the 256mb flash disk, it give me something arnd 220 or something like tht ????
What is the reason I am not getting the exact size as it is written on its box ???? :blink:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Same reason that hard drives report that they only hold 74.5Gb when the label on the disk says 80Gb. Rounded down.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Yep. it's all to do with arithmetic and how companies work out the the capacity of a drive. To them, there are 1000 kilobytes in a megabyte. But to be spot on accurate there are actually 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte. Windows uses the accurate figure, hence the difference.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You might also look at the flash drive and notice that it has files and folders on it to tell windows what it is. These will take up a small amout of space that the manufacturer just rounds off.

SRX660

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
here are some numbers(boring stuff).

marketing numbers do not equal what PC use.

let's say marketing says 1kb, that means 1000 bytes.
computers consider 1kb = 1024 bytes.
we have a 2.34% difference in the 1kb claims.

let's say marketing says 1mb, that means 1000000 bytes.
computers consider 1mb = 1048576 bytes.
we have a 4.63% difference in the 1mb claims.

let's say marketing says 1gb, that means 1000000000 bytes.
computers consider 1gb = 1073741824 bytes.
we have a 6.86% difference in the 1gdb claims.

so if marketing says 1gb, let's reduce it by 6.86%.
we wind up with 931322575 bytes

therefore your device is ok.

part II - we can use the 931kb number to check the integrity of the product. the consumer must decide. if your 'empty' available space is considerably less(10%?) than 931kb, you may want to return the device.