Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nothing appearing on monitor even though it's not faulty

• Please log in to reply

ardm

ardm

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
:whistling: Hi, I have a Gateway desktop computer that will not boot up. The green power light comes on, the fan comes on, the PC hums as normal but nothing appears on the monitor. I connected the monitor to another machine using the same cables and it worked fine so I don't think the problem is with the monitor, not really sure how to proceed from here..... Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.
Alan

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi, I have a question before we get started. Do you have a video card, or on-board video, which is where the motherboard provides graphics? If you have a video card, follow these steps.

Hi, your video card is probably loose. You'll need to open the computer up to find out. Unplug everything from the computer and pick it up, this way you can set it on a table, preferably over a tile floor. Open the case, which is usually held in place by clips or screws. Before touching ANYTHING inside, ground the static electricity from your body by touching the inner metal frame. Now, find your video card. It's a bit hard to explain, so here's what to do. Look at the back of the computer and see where the monitor plugs in. The card on the other side of that metal plate is the one you need. Make sure it's in there nice and tight. Push in on it firmly, but don't do it too hard, or you'll risk damaging the card. Just make sure it's in there nice and secure. Close the computer back up and connect only the things you need (power, monitor, mouse, etc.) Don't worry about your speakers or anything yet. With any luck, your video will now show when you start the computer.

ardm

ardm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi thanks for your prompt reply. I opened up the case and am now certain that it is onboard video......
Alan

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
You may need to update those drivers then... Sadly, I have never really worked with on-board, and I would feel terrible if I gave you instructiosn that went badly... I suggest waiting for a more experienced member to help. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance! :whistling:

ardm

ardm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
That's ok, thanks for trying, I appreciate it.