Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Best use of partitions

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi, i read somewhere that having multiple partitions on your hard drive increases the speed of windows generally. I have a 80 gig h.d.
What "partition plan" should i have? I have about 20 gigs in the program files and about the same in my documents.
Any suggestions?

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I would leave it as a single partition despite what you might have read or heard to the contrary. 80 gig is not a lot these days, and will soon fill up. You must remember that, however much RAM your system has, Windows still uses hard disk space as virtual memory, and the more free space there is for this, the less likely Windows will complain.

Don't have multiple partitions just to keep things separated, that's what folders are for!

The only time I created two partitions was when I had a slow system with just a 300Mhz CPU (remember them?), and a slow hard disk. When I wanted to burn a CD my system couldn't keep up with the burner. By creating a small second partition, the effective read speed on that partition was about 3 times faster so I put all my files for burning on there before making a CD. No more coasters!

However, now I have a modern system, that's no longer necessary. I'd rather have a second disk for backup than split my 80 gig system disk up into several partitions. Just no point. Keep it simple I say.

Edited by pip22, 06 August 2006 - 11:54 AM.