Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager - setting low priority

• Please log in to reply

richocki

richocki

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I was wondering if I could somehow save the priority settings on different running processes
so each time I start up the settings would be low, high ect... what ever I set it at?

Also - is there a program that does what Task Manager does but also gives you info on the process when hi-lited. A sort of replacement for Task Manager?

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I like Process Explorer from Sysinternals.

I found something on how to save priority, you could write a batch file and place it in your startup folder.

Open Notepad and type:
Echo off
start /<priority> <process location>
Please remember to replace <priority with the priority (ex. realtime, high, abovenormal, normal, belownormal, low) and <process location> with the location of the file.

Or for example:
Echo off
start /high c:\windows\explorer.exe

Save the file, making sure to change the type to "all" and saving with a .bat extension and put it in your startup folder (default is C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Start Menu\Programs\startup).

Please be careful with changing priorities, though, it can cause instability. I don't recommend using Real Time at all. I would recommend only putting it on one user profile at first just in case. If you need it on every profile, put in "All Users" instead of your username, but only do this once you tested it.