Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio problems.

• Please log in to reply

Quari

Quari

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi, I recently performed a clean repair of Windows and ever since my computer's audio has not been working. My speakers are made by Altec Lansing and are model ADA215 but my computer simply fails to recognise their presence - instead my sound input is registered as "Modem 1 Line Playback" - I have been unable to download any drivers to get them working and they do not connect by USB but by a single prong - colour coded to be inserted into the correct port at the back of the processor.

Any help in getting them up and running would be most appreciated - thank you.

Edited by Quari, 06 August 2006 - 04:42 PM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi, I suggest updating your sound card drivers. The speaker should work once you do this. I don't think speakers need drivers. Just the sound card.

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I've looked up what my sound card is by running "dxdiag" but there's no information on it, it's just registered as "Modem 1 Line Playback". Because of this, I don't know what drivers to download.

Any help?

Thanks!

Edited by Quari, 06 August 2006 - 02:30 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
It sounds like you probably have on-board sound. Sadly, I'm not sure how to update those drivers, seeing as how they go through the motherboard. I suggest waiting for a more experienced member to reply. sorry I couldn't be of more help :whistling:

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Okay - thank you anyway for your help. I am now being told that my sound device is called "Modem 2 Line Playback (emulated)"

Is there anyone else that thinks they may know? I'd really like to be able to hear my downloaded music...:whistling:

Edited by Quari, 06 August 2006 - 05:12 PM.

CaveKaba

CaveKaba

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Welcome to my world! I'm having the same problem as you, and I've had this problem for half a year now...

To solve this, I'm just going to get a sound card for my birthday. I know for a fact that a sound card will solve this.. I just need one that actually doesn't slow down my poor computer..

Anyways, I wish you all the luck in the world with fixing this! I'll be sure to keep a close eye on this thread just in case you solve our problem before I purchase a sound card :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for multimedia / audio adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
http://img426.images...untitledjc2.jpg

That was the result of the search application.

I downloaded an AC'97 driver for my audio device but, upon installing the driver, was told in the form of a warning that it was not certified to be run on Windows XP (even though the download website specifically stated that it was) and was asked if I would like to continue anyway - choosing to continue I was greeted with a blue screen and had no choice but to restart - my system is still lacking audio.

Thanks!

Edited by Quari, 06 August 2006 - 06:14 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you get VIA or Realtek, and from where?

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
That was the driver that prompted the blue screen:

http://www.realtek.c...p;Software=True

I have since tried the following VIA driver:

http://www.download....4-10546964.html

Like before however, I was told that the software had "not passed Windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP" so chose not to continue with the installation.

Thanks!

Edited by Quari, 06 August 2006 - 06:49 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is the motherboard in this list

This driver, also known as Vinyl AudioCodec, supports all VIA southbridges with integrated sound, including VT8231/VT82C686A/VT82C686B, VT8233/VT8233A/VT8233C/VT8235/VT8237/VT8287. This driver supports the VIA Six-TRAC (VT1616 Codec). The VIA Stylus driver for the Six-TRAC Codec integrates Sensaura technology realizing a new level of audio performance and functionality. This driver supports DOS sound for VIA VT82C686A/VT82C686B/VT8231 southbridges only.

Did you get a motherboard CD

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
That's what EVEREST listed my motherboard as:

http://img426.images...untitledjc2.jpg

Referring to that, it doesn't seem to be in the list you provided (or am I just being blind?) I do not remember receiving a motherboard disc and cannot find one of that title in my stored pile of system discs.

Thanks.

Edited by Quari, 06 August 2006 - 07:19 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is the link for Dell

http://support.dell..../...=WW1&osl=EN

The only onboard one is not the Intel one, so you may want to check with Dell here

http://support.dell....o...&redirect=1

Click find my service tag if you haven't got a note of it

Quari

Quari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
What driver were you suggesting I install from Dell - an audio one or a chipset one for my motherboard?

In my first steps, before posting here, I actually tested installing all three of those audio drivers and had no luck; hence this time round I installed the one for the motherboard from that Dell link and it installed successfully - despite this I restarted afterwards and I cannot see any noticeable difference. In recent restarts my computer has been detecting a "Multimedia Audio Controller" with the "Found New Hardware Wizard" however but fails to install it properley...

Could that be my speakers?

Following the second link - when I input my code I am told that, because I am in the UK and not the US, I have to go to a different website for help...

Thanks!

Edited by Quari, 06 August 2006 - 07:50 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, right click multimedia audio controller, click update driver