Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nothing is showing up, could be anything

• Please log in to reply

petergiblin

petergiblin

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Specs:

1 gig ddr2
p4 ht 3.2 - socket 775
600watt psu
gigabyte mobo - pcie

Problem:
I have 5 fans in my computer, all high speed - nice and noisy, I overclocked my graphics card and cpu on a very low level to try and increase performance. Everything worked fine for just over a week but then today I turned my computer on and nothing showed up on the screen. I tested it with 2 other screens that work fine with my other computer, so it is not the screen. Heat is coming off the cpu and the graphics cards, all fans are working, but the usb plugs aren't powering up my mouse.

So it seems to me as though just about everything could be going wrong.

It's either the cpu, gpu, mobo, or psu...

Any help would be greatly appreciated :whistling:

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The first thing to check is the power supply. If it is not working properly, nothing else will. I bought a power supply tester for around $10, which is a nice tool to have around.

petergiblin

petergiblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
:whistling:

valis

valis

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
dos it post?

petergiblin

petergiblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
im on my laptop atm, but i need for my computer to work you know?

would all the lights and stuff come on if the cpu wasn't working?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key, possible F2, does it got to BIOS set up, if so, load the BIOS defaults, press F10 to save, type Y and press enter

petergiblin

petergiblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thats not possible because i cannot see anything on screen. nothing comes up when its plugged in, if you have the screen on stand alone it comes up with a message asking you to plug it in. and i have checked it against another working monitor, but nothing.

i have cleared the cmos about 400 times now and nothing is working still.

is it most likely the graphics card? i really doubt its the psu, but the usb's aren't powering up...

valis

valis

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
again, does it post? Do you get the solitary beep that states that all is cool, or do you get a sequence of beeps that are telling you something else entirely?

v

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Odd

Accessing BIOS set up takes place before the graphics drivers load

Also, you would be able to access safe mode, which also doesn't need the graphics drivers

Maybe if you switch the power off, remove all the graphics card, you may get somewhere

Do you get the P.O.S.T beep

Try with the monitor switched off, if you get the post beep, keep tapping the delete key for a bit, then switch the monitor on

petergiblin

petergiblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
there is no beep when i first turn it on...

and i don't know what "post" means sorry

valis

valis

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
post = Power On Self Test.....when it passes that, it gives one beep saying all it cool. If it does NOT pass, it generally gives a beep sequence. If you are getting no beeps, I would to start seriously looking at the power supply unit.

petergiblin

petergiblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
right, how do i check the power supply? get another, slap it in, and see if it powers up?

valis

valis

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
right, except for a few minor things, such as making sure it's not plugged in. :whistling:

You may also want to verify that the one you are slapping in is a known good one.

v

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You can also buy a power supply tester, such as:

http://www.xoxide.co...ply-tester.html