Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio driver issues

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Has the CD got the auto update for the BIOS

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Good point Keith. If not, theres probably an update on Asus's website that can be manually downloaded/installed.

I would suggest maybe checking the bios setting first though before updating the bios, especially the ones pertaining to HDAudio & front panel support type settings

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hrm, sorry I left, I had to go out for dinner with the parents.

And I'm not sure it has the auto update for the BIOS, what exactly do you have to change? You'd think it wouldn't have to be that complicated installing one driver.

If I were to check the BIOS setting what would I look for?

And thanks for the responses, and the help.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Apologies for the delay in replying - been out fixing computers in person rather than online for the last 2 days!

Re. the bios -
Reboot & go into the bios (Usually by pressing the DEL key a few times in quick succession as soon as the monitor LED turns from amber to green).
Then navigate to the Advanced menu -> Onboard Devices Configuration & check the settings for 'HD Audio Controller' & 'Front panel Support Type'.
HD Audio controller should be set to 'Enabled'
The front panel support is dependent on your particular system. The options are AC97 or HD Audio.
Unless you know for sure which it should be, then I suggest you simply change it to the other one. So if its currently set to AC97, change to HD Audio (or vice versa)

Make sure you save any changes you make & exit the bios.

The other things to try would be to (1) Reset the bios to default settings. This can be found in the 'Exit' menu of the bios ("Load setup defaults"). However, be warned that if you do this, any custom configuration of the bios (i.e changes made since machine first assembled), will be lost obviously. This may mean you need to reconfigure the IDE/SATA controllers manually for example. (e.g if you have a sata drive & resetting the bios to defaults has disabled the sata controller, then this needs to be re-enabled in the bios).

Don't worry about the bios update until you've tried these steps first. I'll talk you through it if & when the time comes

BTW Did you install SP2 in the end?

Edited by Samm, 08 August 2006 - 07:11 PM.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Arg, this is so frustrating. Im so close to getting my computer up, and then something like driver issues stops me.

Again, thanks for the reply.

The HD audio controller was already enabled, and I switched the front panel support to HD Audio, the other option, but alas it was to no avail. The same erros are occuring.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, then switch it back to AC97 which is the default setting.

Did you install SP2?