Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

True CPU speed?

• Please log in to reply

gerhard7

gerhard7

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
On my new PC the CPU installed shows up as an Intel P4 3.06Ghz and not the 3.2Ghz as stated in the specs when I bought it.

This is what the shop had to say:
"As far as I know it is the same processor. The clock speed can be adjusted, and we had it on offer as a 3.2GHZ (set to 3.2GHz) but have found that it performs better set to 3.06GHz, so that is how we sell it now."

Is this true?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
On some motherboards you can adjust the multiplier. Say you have a 400 MHz bus and use a multiplier of 8 you get your 3200 processor. But if you take the same bus and use a mulitplier of 7.5 you get a 3000 processor. Now reality says the real bus speed is 200 so the multiplier should be 16 to get a 3.2 processor(3200). So if your multiplier is 15 you would have a 3.0 processor. Small variances in actual speed could get the 3.06 speed.Some motherboards will let you change the miltiplier and some won't.

Increasing the multiplier can also increase the processor running temp so there is no real improvement in processing power.This is especially true of the prescott processors that already runs hot with stock settings. Personally if i bought a 3.2 processor i would expect to get a 3.2 processor, not less, or a overclocked smaller processor.

SRX660

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

On my new PC the CPU installed shows up as an Intel P4 3.06Ghz and not the 3.2Ghz as stated in the specs when I bought it.

This is what the shop had to say:
"As far as I know it is the same processor. The clock speed can be adjusted, and we had it on offer as a 3.2GHZ (set to 3.2GHz) but have found that it performs better set to 3.06GHz, so that is how we sell it now."

Is this true?

Is this a laptop or desktop?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I looked in your profile and it says you have a laptop so im guessing that is the one you are talking about...

Alot of the newer laptops by intel has this new technology called Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® technology. The system adjusts itself to use a lower or higher cpu speed depending on what kind of application or programs you are currently using. If your laptop isnt in use using alot of resources it will adjust to a lower cpu speed and this lowers power consumption for your battery/batteries so the batteries will last longer...

If your laptop needs the extra cpu speed it will adjust itself and use the ammount needed..

I dont know if your laptop has this technology but it could be the reason that your cpu speed is listed lower.

Your fsb may have been set lower by the company aswell if the tech said they do but who knows he might be telling you a crock of crap.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Here are the intel links that explain the Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® technology.

http://www.intel.com...tiumm/index.htm

http://www.intel.com...ence/203838.htm

Edited by jrm20, 06 August 2006 - 07:50 PM.

gerhard7

gerhard7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sorry, the new one is a desktop.

MB: Asrock775Fire-eSATA2+
The CPU was supposed to be a Pentium® 4 (HT) 3.2 64bit power CPU.

Where would I find the CPU sSpec number?