Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Permission to read

• Please log in to reply

wrhatt

wrhatt

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am trying to get my HP laptop to go to my Dell desktop and open a program that has files that I need to work on. The error I get is that the HP only has "permission to read" and it must have "permission to read and write" so access is denied. I contacted the maker of the program Aurora that I'm trying to use and they couldn't correct the problem. HP couldn't correct the problem nor could the tech company "The Smart Guys" (recommended by HP) correct the problem. Both computers see each other, both have shared hard drives and the laptop is mapped to the Desktop. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you set up folder sharing, did you tick, allow network users to change my files

wrhatt

wrhatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Both computers have full acess to each other. Their hardrives are set for sharing eveything.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have both PC's got the programme installed

wrhatt

wrhatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The program "Aurora" may only be installed on one computer, thus that computer becomes the server for any other computer wanting to use the program. In this case my desktop is the server and I want the laptop to access the program via the network to which the laptop is mapped in.

wrhatt

wrhatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
XP networking wizard? Why did that work? I thought that when they were mapped and could see each other it WAS networked. It now works, thanks for fix.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Glad you managed to resolve it