Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Offline Registry Hive edit/fix XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

bearle

bearle

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am currently stuck in a XP Pro reinstall -- the screen shows a message of trying to continue with a the prevous setup, but then hangs. :blink:

I've reinstalled windows into a separate area, unfortunately, it then trashed all the registry hive (especially the software file). :help:

I've got the software file from the prior install, would like to integrate that into the current hive, however, just copying and pasting it into config area results in a 0x80090019 error. :)

so, I'm looking for a method to get the software registry information from my old hive into the working hive. Does Registry mechanic do that, or does anything? Or is there a different way to approach this (other than re-installing all the software). :whistling:

Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get this

A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer

bearle

bearle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
see response above --

http://www.geekstogo...mp;#entry753020

Edited by bearle, 06 August 2006 - 09:19 PM.

bearle

bearle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, the exact message is:
"A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0x80090019."

Review of this site came up with what might be a repair -- http://www.geekstogo...een-t40187.html

In my situation I have two software files -- software from the hive that has all the keys, etc and worked before I reloaded Windows (thinking that process would "heal without harm" the error message that I had just received from windows). And I have software from the re-installed version -- which is basically missing all the software. I've been on the phone with MS to get to this point -- a computer with two XP installations (WINDOWS -- the old installation) and (WINNEW) the blank installation. The WINDOWS installation can be made to get past the error message above by using the software file that was created when Windows was repaired. When this repair occurred, Windows evidently does harm -- it doesn't save the restore points from a previous install, rather overwrites them, thus necessitating reinstalling all the software again. My backup (yes, I had backup) was on a separate drive, which then had a mechanical failure (it goes click-bing repeatedly and the OS doesn't recognize it). So, I am in a world of hurt.

As is the case of this message:
1. I cannot boot into safe mode when using the desired software file.
2. I desire the software file under the belief that using this will avoid re-installation of all the software again, but will require some re-registration (likely of Windows). My copy of Windows is a store bought, fully packaged XP Pro.
3. The first step of the suggested solution was to go into registry and change some values. I could do this with the working software file, then replace to the desire software file -- but without knowing that the change affects only the other files in the hive, it could be a useless exercise. If it requires changing the desired software file, how do I edit it when Windows won't come up to permit access through regedit?
4. I do have access to norton system works and have done byte level editing in the DOS/95 era, but not in XP.

Thank-you for your interest in this issue.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can open the registry editor, click file, export, check the dot is in all, name the file, save it to a folder you create

Make the changes, if it doesn't work, you can double click the registry file you saved