Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I permanently remove obsolute devices from device manager?

• Please log in to reply

dustman

dustman

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello,

I have a situation I could use help with. I was given an older ASUS desktop computer on which I have installed windows xp-pro and SP2. When I did that, I ended up needing a lot of drivers, which I finally found all of but 2: multimedia controller, and network controller. There is a yellow ! mark on both in device manager.

It has an ethernet card, a sound card, a modem, etc, and all are working perfectly. I have been searching the net for nearly 2 weeks, and have downloaded dozens of drivers, none of which have helped. I have the correct drivers for the sound card, the modem, and the ethernet card.

I believe these 2 problem devices may be obsolete. I have deleted them, but on restart they come right back, and the wizard tries to install the software, but never succeeds, no matter what I try.

At this point, I would just like to permanently remove these 2 items from the device manager. How can I do that in XP Pro?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dusty

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

I believe these 2 problem devices may be obsolete. I have deleted them, but on restart they come right back, and the wizard tries to install the software, but never succeeds, no matter what I try.

if windows is putting them back...then the devices still physically exist on your computer...if you want windows to stop detecting them you can:

physically remove them
right click on them in device manager and choose disable
or install the drivers

id suggest trying to find the drivers (you might try windows update for this or the website for the company that makes your computer)
if you can't find the drivers i'd choose to disable the device over physically uninstalling it

dustman

dustman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks, Dsenette!

Dusty