Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External Hard Drive, Not recognized, and not accessable

• Please log in to reply

DennConn

DennConn

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have a Dell 8400 tower/Win XP Pro SP 2/ 4cpu 3.6 Ghz/2.0GB Ram.
Internal Drive 250GB/and I added a 300GB Segate Internal Drive. It all works fine.
When My 250 GB Drive crashed, and Dell Replaced it, (By the way it took 25 Calls to their service desk).
When the tech replaced the drive, and started windows...he forgot to disconnect my 120 GB Western digital External Drive. When the partition showed up in the start up...he deleted the Partition of the external drive.
Long story short, they sent my WD Drive to a data recovery company, and i got 12 dvd's of data back and the WD External drive back. I tried to connect it to the dell to use again as a backup. XP does not recognize it as a new device. I checked the device manager and it recognized the drive, and says it is working properly. However on My computer, it is not recognized, as it was when i first tried to access it.

I went through the trouble shooting process and also tried to use the control pannel to connect new hardware. No success. Can't get it to be recognized. but the Device Manager recognized it when connected. It is connected by usb 2.0, that is it.

Can you help me either get it re-partitioned, or connected so it will function. I think it is still good. The tech guy just deleted that partition when he was in the process of partitioning the newly installed drive.

I think this should be a simple process...but I am confused...would appreciate any help or ideas..

Thanks..
denn

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
If only the partition table was removed, you might consider using a Linux LiveCD to restore it. The reason for having to use Linux is that it does not create the filesystem when you create the partition and you can control what it does. The older version of fdisk would create the partition, but not create the filesystem. I don't think that is the case with the disk management as it seems to do everything.

To see if the disk is working:

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. In there go
to Disk Management.

You can download Knoppix for free and it is a nice tool to have. Then create a bootable disk, boot the CD and login and run fdisk with the drive name (ie. /dev/hdb). You may need to install the disk in the system as sometimes the USB case does not return the real size of the disk. You can also try DSL OS, which is a very small version of Linux.

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks Kemasa, I do not have linux operating system. However, Here is what i did.

I tried to open disk management in the Computer management window, and I got a logical Disk Manager Error, that said "The Service Database is Locked" and the other comment at the bottom of the window is "Unable to connect to Logical Disk Manager Service" I don't know what this means, except I cannot access it. I imagine there is some way to "Unlock" the database. If you know I would appreciate help there too.

In an attempt to bring my external WD 120 G hard drive back to life, I did the following:
I origionally used Norton Partition Magic 8.0 to partition my two internal drives into several partitions for the Operating system, and data and back up partitions.

Thus I used partition magic to create an extended partition on my WD 120 G External drive. It seemed to work as it created an Extended 114,463.1 GB Extended partition, and then created a local Disk (J:) in NTFS format (Which all my other partitions are in) with 114,463.1 GB of space. This seemed to work, as I can now access the drive and moved a file to it and accessed it. It also now shows up on "My Computer" as drive J. However on the drive it has an Unallocated Primary area of 7.8 GB of space that is unallocated.
I guess I gave up 7.8 GB of space. But i did get it to work.

I still cannot access the Disk Manager Service as noted above.....Any Ideas......

I Know, I type too much. Thanks for your help...i greatly appreciate it.

DennConn

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
I am not sure about this disk manager service.

Knoppix is a LiveCD version of Linux, which you can download and use without affecting what you have on your disk. This makes it a very useful tool.

If you write down the partition information, you can modify the partition so that you can get all of the disk available. If you want to do this, let me know and I can detail it a bit more, but using Knoppix would be the way that I would suggest.