Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Motherboard Recommendation due to Mouse

• Please log in to reply

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hi! I'm having problems when I connect my mouse to the PS/2 connector of my m/b. It's a wireless Logitech mouse--I even tried a different one and had the same problem. I've tried reformatting (finally) and reinstalling Windows XP Home. But after awhile, the tracking begins to falter--it works haltingly. Finally, I went back to my old Logitech wired mouse hooked up on a USB port--that works. And, yes, I tried reloading the driver to no avail.

So, I figure it's the m/b. This is what I have:

Intel D945GNTLR

with:

P4 3GHz HT
2MB L2 Cache
800MHz FSB

Kingston DDR2
533MHz
PC2-4200
Non-ECC

Does it sound like the m/b to you? If so, what would you recommend for around $100 to replace it? (Also, I'm not looking to switch to AMD, I just need recommendations for Intel-compatible boards, thanks!!)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
switching motherboards (when it wasn't in your plans to begin with) for a faulty ps/2 port (especially the mouse port) is a little drastic...you'd get a much cheaper fix by getting a new usb mouse...you said it was a wireless ps/2 mouse? never heard of such a thing

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
The mouse is wireless, but the receiver plugs into the PS/2 port. I tried a new mouse--no go. Also, the connector has always been a little loose.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
but you said a usb mouse does work correct? maybe a wireless usb mouse would be more effective

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Yeah, it's just I HATE having ANYTHING not working the way it should--makes me paranoid things are gonna start going and I'll be left with a non-working computer while I fix it! LOL!!

I guess I'll try a different brand mouse--maybe it's some sort of compatability issue...

Thanks!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
more likely it's a failing ps/2 port...not terribly uncommon...but also...not terribly dangerous....at worst what would happen is that your keyboard ps/2 joins the mouse ps/2 in it's grave..and you'd have to use usb keyboard and mouse...not really much detriment ot the system (save the ocassional inability to get into safe mode or bios) the ps/2 ports are single task ports...so...if they go out..you just switch to usb untill your next planned upgrade

Julio

Julio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Thanks a lot--I appreciate the help!!

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
go to best buy and buy this. Ive had the same problem. Only with my keyboard PS2 Connector. This will solve your problem and save u money. http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1118845445350