Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ever since SP2...

• Please log in to reply

WonderfulDays

WonderfulDays

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
So, recently i updated to SP2, it was a very delayed thing, but ive had really horrible luck with official microsoft releases...Example, once when i installed a newer version of the .net framework, it blew up one of the my harddrives and left me without a computer for about a month because microsoft wouldnt offer any compensation or tech support. Thanks a lot Microsoft.

So, of course, when i installed SP2, ALL of my portforwarding got messed up, and my ip suddenly changed. So now all those things i used to do, hosting games in Warcraft III, using torrents, all that jazz, suddenly doesnt work.

Im going to assume that SP2 reactivated my windows firewall, thus interfering, but heres the problem. when i try to access the firewall, i get this error:

Start > control panel > Windows firewall: Then i get the error: "Windows firewall cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS) service?"

so i hit yes

"Windows canot start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service."

So, i really am at a standstill, and i have no clue what to do about this. But, being a big gamer, not having the option of hosting games is kind of crippling me...So, help would be very appreciated!

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Try to start the service manualy. Go to Start-->Run, enter "services.msc". You should now see a list of the available services. Locate and change the status of the "Windows Firewall/Internet connection sharing (ICS)" service to Manual or Automatic. Now restart and try to acces Windows Firewall again.

WonderfulDays

WonderfulDays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I can change it between automatic and manual fine, but since its stopped, when i try to right click > start, i get this error

Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer.

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

::cry:: i have no clue what to do! i cant figure anything out, and so far nor can anyone else!

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Check this article from Microsoft. If it doesn't help, you can also try the solution described on this page.

Edited by Comnir, 07 August 2006 - 12:06 PM.

WonderfulDays

WonderfulDays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I just tried everything in those articles, thanks comnir, but unfortunately neither worked. I was unable to get one of the services started, which was:

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

but it did mention you could reinstall System Pack 2, is that easy? will i lost any information? or is it as simple as downloading it again, double clicking the .exe (or .msi) and there we go? or do you guys think i should try something else before i reinstall SP2?

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Couldn't find a solution for startingthat service, so I think you can better try reinstalling SP2. AFAIK, you aren't supposed to lose any data, at least not files and etc. But you can backup any settings that might be important. If no other suggestions are given here, I think you should go for it.

WonderfulDays

WonderfulDays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ugh. i hate it when something is wrong, you try to fix it, and it only gets worse. So i did those two things that it told me to do, (the two links you sent me) i restarted, and apparently now my internet doesnt work. The wireless works, but wiring directly into my router DOESNT work...thus meaning its my computers fault, because the router is still able to transmit WIRELESSLY but not to my COMPUTER. and now i am thoroughly annoyed...

So, i have NO clue what to post here, as far as symptoms go...Ill post anything, do anything you want me to do, as long as i have my internet working, i dont care about the firewall anymore >_>

EDIT: another thing i noticed, when i do to run > cmd > type in: Ipconfig the response i get is

Windows Ip Configuration

which is strange because i almost ALWAYS get something in return...

Edited by WonderfulDays, 11 August 2006 - 10:20 PM.

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I would try uninstalling your network adapter and then installing it again, it might even solve the firewall probelms. BTW, I've found this article that could help with starting the services.

WonderfulDays

WonderfulDays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Comnir, thanks so much. i dont even know what to say. With practically NO information, you managed to help me through all of this and get everything working. Turns out SOMEWHERE along the line my network adaptor was turned off, no clue when that happened, but after i enabled it, waited a few seconds, and bam! internet is working!!! thank you so much! ill probably stray away from the firewall issue, just because i feel like i have some bad luck now :-P but regardless, you've saved me!

thank you so much comnir! and feel free to close this topic :whistling:

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
You are welcome :-)

Although I think that nothing was really solved, but as long as you are happy, I won't argue about it. You said your IP has suddenly changed, did you try to do portforwarding to the new IP address?

WonderfulDays

WonderfulDays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yeah. i tried doing that. but the problem i found is that the windows firewall itself is stopping me. im QUITE sure. i may fiddle faddle around with the ip address and such. but we'll see...