Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing SATA hdd

• Please log in to reply

badben25

badben25

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
can someone provide a link or tutorial or jus tell me how to setup sata harddisks? i mean the complete method from both hardware and software ponts of view [wat is to be done and how]. i've done it before, but it wasnt....nevermind. jus help me.
thanks

Advertisements

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Here you can find a slidshow that explains how you can connect the HD to your computer. If you aren't going to newly install an OS, I think your Windows 2000 should recognize it automatically. If it doesn't, let us know.

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
OK, that was a great deal of help, but wat do i do when the system boots? i m going to install everything right from the beginning cuz this is gonna be on a fresh PC

thanks

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
In this case, you will need a diskette with the drivers for your SATA controller. Now, when your instalation starts you will have to press F6 in order to load the SATA drivers. If your SATA controller is on-board or a SATA controller card, the drivers should be available from the manufacturer's site. If you specify the model of your motherboard or controller card, we could help you find the drivers you need.

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
yes i know of a floppy that needs to be created. i cudnt find the files on the cd supplied wid the mainboard [i was told that they are present on it] so i did some of my own work n put together a bunch of files i found from windows folder and the mainboard cd and i successfully created a floppy that works. an update is coming out on the 9th of Aug to support huge drives [i think those in excess of 320gb--not sure] that run on the new SATA2 interface [like mine]. but is that all? i know that windows asks for additional drivers to specify hardware in the beginning of the setup [press f6 etc etc] and then windows starts installin etc. but i felt that maybe sumthin has to be done in the BIOS.....or is this the only stuff we gotta do? if all we need is this floppy during setup then so far so good. plus, do i have to perform some settings or sumthin of that sort?

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
The floppy you've created is supposed to be the one you need in the begining of the installation and includes the drivers for the SATA Controller on your motherboard, and not for the HD itself. As far as I know, no drivers are needed for HDs. I guess the update you are talking about is for your BIOS, to allow it to support large drives.

Anyway, refer to the steps described here under "Configuring the BIOS", if needed.

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
i know the floppy is for the sata controller card. i jus checked details of the updates n there r 2 things, 1 is a bios update and the other are new files for the floppy. my actual question is what i asked out of curiousness: is there ny other work to be done on the sata drive, or does the floppy do everything required?

thanks

P.S. that link u gave was very very good :whistling:

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
As far as I know, the floppy is enough.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
If you are using windows to install and format your hard drive, then use the software that came with the hard drive to install without the floppy. You dont need a floppy to do this. I did that twice already.

Leonardxp

Leonardxp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

As far as I know, the floppy is enough.

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I have similar problem. Using a PCI SATA controller card. The manufacturer provided a CD instead of a floppy, and the SATA or RAID folder inside the CD is like 8MB, no way can i fit them into a 1.44" Floppy, any suggestion?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you not access the files through your CD drive? I've done this before when setting up a new XP install with a PCI SATA card. You should be able to navigate to your CD drive when searching for the files.