Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Slow Down

• Please log in to reply

Dez84

Dez84

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey my system is running very slow i will list what i have done so far to fix the problem

: Virus scan
: Spyware scan
: Malware scan
: Upgraded Ram
: Physicaly cleaned system
: system defrag

I did use to have alot of viruses on my computer and have got rid of most of them, but a reinstall of windows is not an option for me

So if anyone has any input on any other way of speeding up my system to the way it used to be.

Also just noticed that my 512 stick of ram is now registering as 256mb. I had the same problem with another stick of ram was another 512mb bit of ram and went down to 128mb, but both the bits of ram are not new they are second hand bits of ram, i was just wondering if the mother borad could be distroying the bits of ram by sending to much voltage to them. My system is not overclocked so im not sure whats wrong.

OK just used windiag boot floppy to check my ram i left it for three and a half hours and it could not find any faults.

The thing is my bios some times picks up the ram at 512mb but other times at 256mb, it says its running in single channel mode i dont know if this is the problem or if its the motherboard at fault. i have my ram placed in the second ram slot on my motherboard, but i wouldnt think this would make to much of a problem. If anyone knows what the problem is or knows how to fix this i would be very much appraciated for the help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum