Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flash install problem.

• Please log in to reply

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I hope someone can help me with this.

Logged on as only user account (Administrator) on brand new XP Home machine.

Trying to install BT Broadband modem and unfortunately it cpomes with a load of installation junk. It installs the drivers and tries to install Flash 6 to run the Broadband diagnostics etc. It gets so far then an error message pops up:

The file C:\Windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash.ocx could not be opened. Please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory. Access is denied

BT helpline is useless and say they will send a new disk. I suspect the disk is not the problem, unless it has a newer version of Flash that doesn't do this.

Any ideas for this problem please. I can't seem to connect to the internet, although the drivers have loaded. I think I'll need to get through the entire install program before it will work.

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you logged on as AN ADMINISTRATOR or THE administrator (there is a difference)

RichP

RichP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
When I created the account, there was only one.

If I boot into Safe Mode there is the usual username account and Administrator one. I logged on as administrator to try to install it but it just stuck at the initial loading acreen.

How do I get into the Administrator account in normal startup?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could try doing the "change the way users log on" and make it so you have to use the clasic logon...or try doing the safe mode deal..but do safe mode with networking

RichP

RichP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Yeah, I realise the safe mde with networking may be the one to try. Should hopefully get the cance tomorrow.

Another related question if you don't mind.

If this still fails, can I connect to the internet without installing all the rubbish that comes with this ISP CD?

It installs the drivers first, before it tries to install the Flash bit, so the modem should work. I tried going through the different options in the Setup wizard in the IE connection bit but it wouldn't connect.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not 100% familiar with BT's setup (really hard to get British tellecom in knoxville tn) so...i can't assure you one way or the other...but in theory as long as the modem is installed correctly you shouldn't need the isp's software (with aol broadband alot of times you can get on without launching aol)...of course...the flash bit of the install MAY be the part that allows you to enter y our username and password into the modem.

RichP

RichP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Got ti sorted. Managed to get someone helpful on their helpline for a change. Here's what happened, in case anyone ever gets the same problem:

Went through the setup as normal so it installed the modem drivers as normal.

Once it got to the Flash install, cancel.

Go to Network Connections in Control Panel and set up new connection.

Connect to internet.

Set up connection manually.

Dial-up connection

Enter ISP name

Phone number 0,38

Enter username and password and all sorted.

Thanks for your input as well.