Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook Express Message Files Transfer

• Please log in to reply

Victornj

Victornj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been trying to transfer important email files from my old computer (XP, Outlook Express) to my new laptop (XP, Outlook Express). I have identified where the dbx files are located on both computers, and have carefully copied the desired dbx files from the old computer to the new. Unfortunately, Outlook Express in the new computer does not recognize any of the dbx files that I have put in with the standard OE default dbx files. Why is this happening? How can I get the OE on the new computer to recognize the dbx files right under its nose (if it had one)???

Thanks,

Victor

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Forward them to your new PC, you can click to highlight lots then send them in one go

Victornj

Victornj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the advice, Keith. I actually devised a solution around 5:00 AM this morning! I broke up the DBX files into reasonable sized chunks (some were bigger than the 250 MB zip cartridge!) on my desktop, and then made the laptop tell me where the DBX files on the laptop were hidden. I could not trace the subfile routing on "Explore", so I had to paste the address on an IE screen. Once the DBX files were transferred, I then went into OE on the laptop and created a set of folders with names one degree off from the names of the transferred files. Once the newly created mail files appeared in the laptop subdirectory, I deleted them and then changed the names of the transferred DBX files to those of the just-deleted mail files. When I went back into the laptop's OE, the transferred DBX files magically took the place of the other files. I tricked OE!!! I haven't had such an awful time trying to accomplish a seemingly simple task since the old MS-DOS days 20 years ago...

:tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank you for showing how you did it