Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless problem

• Please log in to reply

rsseibert

rsseibert

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks already for the valuable posts in this encyclopedic resource of goodwill. This is my first post, but I have found much help through simply reading in the past. I am stumped on this one, though.

My wireless 4-port router is connected to my DSL modem. The router seems is properly configured for the ISP's specific ip settings and I can browse the Internet when my laptop is connected via Ethernet cable.

However, my problem comes when I disconnect the cable from the laptop and enable the wireless. My laptop connects wirelessly to the router (confirmed by SSID, WEP encryption, and the deletion of the neighbor's SSID) with strong signal, yet I cannot browse the Internet. I can't connect to the router's HTML configuration page, it seems it can't get out to the DSL modem. In "Network Connections", all the properties for Local Area Connection and Wireless Network Connection seem to be the same.

The most confusing part is that our home's other laptop connects wirelessly to the router and browses the Internet without any problem whatsoever. When I view its Wireless Network Connection properties, nothing seems strangely different from that of the laptop with the problem. It does not matter if the bad laptop is wired or wireless, the good laptop always works.

The router is set to allow up to 16 clients. It is giving sequential ip addresses to the wired connection, the wireless connection, and the good laptop.

I use Windows XP Pro SP2, Buffalo AirStation WBR2-G54 Router, Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI Card and the troubled laptop is a Dell Latitue d810.

Thanks in advance for your help. I hope this is an easy fix for someone.

Edited by rsseibert, 07 August 2006 - 09:30 PM.

Advertisements

grrlpwr

grrlpwr

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
This is my husband's post. Can someone please help him out? BTW _mine's_ the laptop that works....

Solution_friend

Solution_friend

• Pip
  • 2 posts
its because of new windows updates crash with wireless connection.Take latest updates from Dell , its working fine, I have same issue with IBM machine and intel drivers and now its working fine.
hope it helps,
Thanks

rsseibert

rsseibert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Solution Friend: THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! That did the trick. I never would have thought of that.