Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Thermal Compound & Cpu Question

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
I just bought a Pentium 3 Tualatin 1.4ghz processor and applied Artic Silver 5 thermal compound to the cpu and heatsink. The Tualatin P3 does not have a small die, it has a IHS (Integrated heat spreader). I applied the compound to the entire heat spreader... Was this a bad choice?

I read artic silvers website after and found that they mention only placing the compound in the center of the heat spreader as a grain of rice size, ONLY IN THE CENTER NOT ENTIRE IHS AND EDGES, ETC.

I believe I used 3-4 rice grain sizes of compound and applied it all over the heat spreader. Hope this was'nt a bad choice or ends up with me having a dead cpu. I did make sure to smoothen it out as best as I could.

Advertisements

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
if i were u i would re-apply it by putting a bb sized drop onto the cpu and doing the same to the heatsink.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
Why would you say that?

Am I risking something fatal happening to my cpu?

Edited by superstar, 07 August 2006 - 06:12 PM.

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
if you apply to much thermal compound you could trap the heat on the cpu instead of making the heat disapate through the heatsink. If you think you applied to much re apply it. Just use enough to cover the surface of the heatsink that contacts with the cpu. And put one bb sized drop on the cpu itself.

Edited by Longhorns242, 08 August 2006 - 02:51 PM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
i cleaned it all off. i did put too much. well i followed artic silvers instructions at there site, on how to apply my artic silver 5 compund, and all i did was place a rice grain size of the thermal compound on the middle of cpu heat spreader and put the heatsink on.

good?

Edited by superstar, 08 August 2006 - 02:54 PM.