Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer periodically restarts by itself

• Please log in to reply

knitsoby

knitsoby

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This has been happening for a couple weeks. I installed new RAM about a week and a half before it started happening, so I'm wondering if maybe this has something to do with it? It will restart no matter what you're doing, and it will restart even if it is idle.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited to add that by "periodically" I mean no more than a couple times per week.

Edited by knitsoby, 07 August 2006 - 05:18 PM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
When the computer restarts, do you see a blue screen flash for about half a second?

knitsoby

knitsoby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, this will sound strange, but I haven't experienced the restarting myself. It happens either overnight, or while I'm at work. The other person that uses the computer has said it goes to a black screen, then to a screen that says an error occured and a there's that 'countdown to restart' screen.

I came home once and there was an error screen relating to the keyboard not being plugged in, which was weird, because it was. I don't know if that's related to this problem or not.