Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Invalid Partition Table

• Please log in to reply

Mister Kay

Mister Kay

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello, after reading a few posts from here I determined this is probably an excellent place to ask for help.
Any help with my problem would be greatly appreciated.

my story: Last week I purchased a student liscence copy of XP Pro through my university and started backing up data to DVDs incase anything died while the upgrade was installing over 2000 pro. Now, I noticed the system running kinda sluggish after burning a DVD, so i decided it was best to restart and let it reload itself as that seems to fix a lot of errors, but alas, it did not. The computer simply refused to allow me to restart. I unplugged my usb hub, and it went back to windows. I thought, "better make sure this isn't a fluke" so i restarted. This time it would not come back.

I used Knoppix to burn my files to DVD and formatted my drive and installed XP Pro on it. Now, I use 2 drives. An 80gb S-ATA and a 300gb S-ATA. Currently, I have the 300gb sata drive disconnected. Whenever I connect it ot the system as the secondary drive, the computer will not load up, it says "Invalid partition table, press any key to continue" and just repeats that message. It runs fine with the drive disconnected, aside from the blue screen memory dump warning i was getting. I reinstalled the most recent catalyst driver and that seemed to fix that problem.

I would like to get that other drive working again as it has quite a bit of useful data on it.

Is my motherboard dieing, like the SATA controller, or what? Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
sounds like you'll need to completely reformat the sata drive...do you have a disk that came with it with the utilities to do so? if so you can boot to that cd and run the tools to format and partition the sata drive...if you don't have that disk...wha tkind of drive is it?

Mister Kay

Mister Kay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I am still getting the blue screens apparently...
STOP: 0x000000F4 0x865F1020 0x865F1194 0x80604450
is the stop message for it.

Also, it is a Maxtor drive, and I do not have a disc for it. I think it's a DiamondMax 10.

Update: The 80gb drive will load up windows in the secondary sata position, but not the primary. Think it's the board's controller?

Edited by Mister Kay, 08 August 2006 - 11:29 PM.

Mister Kay

Mister Kay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The board is an ASUS P4P800, I'm not sure if it's the SE or what not, and I can't seem to find that anywhere

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://www.maxtor.co...amondMax Family here's a link to the maxtor disk tools the maxblast ustility is used for formatting and the other is used for drive diagnostics...you may want to run the diag stuff first and hold off on the reformat in light of current developments

so neither satadrive will work on controller 1? (this would explain your invalid partition table message when you had both drives connected...as it couldn't see the primary controller but could se the secondary...which had no os on it)... if this is the case it very well could be the sata controller that's gone belly up..

now..i'll readily admit that i don't do much dealing with sata...but from recolection aren't you able to have 4 devices on one sata chanel?

Mister Kay

Mister Kay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I already tried using that tool, it reads the drive in the primary location and it tests fine, but the computer won't get much passed the motherboard graphic. Is it possible it's the PSU? Because that would kind of explain why it's so intermittent

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it very well could be...it's very hard to troubleshoot such issues...so..if you by chance have a spare PSU of at least the same rating you could give that a whirl...

intermittant problems are just so hard to deal with

Mister Kay

Mister Kay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I threw in a new PSU, I'm currently posting from the computer now. I need to still test that other drive, but so far so good. Missing some power connection from the front of my computer too, but so far... it's working... let's hope this is the case. As a back-up I have a replacement board on order.

Mister Kay

Mister Kay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It appears that the PSU was to blame for all the odd issues. Now that I changed it, it appears to be stable... however windows xp wants to format my 300gb drive, and knoppix can't seem to figure out the filesystem of the drive... how can I save the data on it? I'm running out of ideas.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you've got a valid xp disk you could go to www.ubcd4win.com and see about making the UBCD basically knoppix but with windows...it may have a better chance on the other drive..