Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel Cannot Open

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I have been trying to open Excel on my Windows XP Pro but I am missing a file "PROPLUS.MSI". I have a copy of installation disk made by computer store, but it obviously does not have that file. I did several restore points back to a time when I could open Excel, but to no avail. A dialogue box indicates that this file may have been moved, or deleted......etc.. And when I click cancel or exit the operation, I get a message that says "error 1706" and then I get a warning that a "fatal error has ocurred during installation"

Please advise.

Regards

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you done a file search on your computer for the file? have you contacted the place where you bought the software (who honestly should NOT be able to give you a burned copy of office...whether you paid full price for it or not...VERY shady) to see if you can have the actual installation disks

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Thanks for your early reply:

I just did a file search by means of My Computer>Mcrosoft Office> and then My Computer>Program Files but I did not find a file or folder called "Proplus.msi

I'm probably looking in the wrong places

Please advise the proper way to check files.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with the file search put prop*.* in the search box..and make sure that in the advanced options that search hiden files and folders is selected

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Sorry No luck. I searched by file type, category, all files, hidden files.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It's possible the file is located on the Office Professional CD. Try opening the program with the CD in the drive and browse the CD when prompted for the file.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Sorry, no such luck . I received notification that the version on the computer is newer than the version on the CD/ Now what?

Wyne

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Any new on my Excel problem?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Is the CD you have the same one you used to install Office initially? I've seen that kind of error when trying to repair/reinstall using a different CD. Google "Office error 1706" to find some solutions to this problem. I'm not sure which Office version you're using, so I won't post specifics. (KB297834 refers to Office XP and 2003 and KB253768 refers to Office 2000)

As an alternative, you could uninstall and reinstall Office, but you'll have to backup some data first. For example, if you have any customizations in Word, be sure to copy the normal.dot file to the desktop before uninstalling. You may also need to export Outlook to a PST file so you can import it back after reinstalling, or you'll lose email, contacts and calendar items.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
What is the best way to ascertain which version of Windows XP Professional with Front Page that I have both in the system and on the particular CD-Rom that I have n my possession. I opened up opened up CD-Rom and went to properties, but it doesn't tell me anything about versions. I check "system" and there's a folder there that says 1386 but that's it. "System" also indicates that the version in the system is "Windows XP Professional 2000.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you mean Microsoft Office with Front Page?

You can check any of the Office products by opening one of the applications, clicking Help, About...

For example, if you check Outlook, you'll see Microsoft Outlook XXXX [this is the version, ie XP, 2003] (##.####.####) [the build] SP1 or SP2. It may also say below this line something like "Part of Microsoft Office Professional XXXX."

Try to confirm that the description matches the CD. If you did indeed mean to say "Office with Front Page", was this an Office CD that came bundled with the computer?

However, back to my previous point, it may be easier and quicker to uninstall the entire suite and reinstall it.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I have been advised that Windows Office 2000 is installed separatley from a different disk than the Windows XP Professional. Is this correct.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I think we have a problem with terms. Windows XP is the operating system. Office 2000 (Word, Excel, Outlook) is the productivity suite. These are two separate pieces of software and would be on two separate CDs.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
So, is there anyway I can get this Excel back again, without installation disk,
I tried to download from microsoft.com, but indications from them are that it is no longer supported.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
In your original post, you mentioned a CD you got from the computer store. If you've recently purchased this computer and it was supposed to have Excel installed but they didn't provide the CD at time of purchase, you may be able to contact them about getting the installation disk.

Other than that, you may be able to purchase a new copy of Office (or just Excel) 2000 through an online vendor.