Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Post-format driver woes

• Please log in to reply

funnybone

funnybone

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello:
After my first attempt at formatting a hard drive, I'm still having driver problems. ..as expected.

16-color monitor problem:
When I access the display settings in the control panel, I am only offered 16 colors and 400 x 600 screen size.

I've recently formatted a friend's virus stricken hard drive, and am still only getting 16 colors out of the monitor after installing the only driver the Proview monitor people make.

The monitor jack plugs directly into the HP motherboard [Intel 440 chipset]

I have just run Intel's Chipset ID utility, and under the "Intigrated Graphics" catagory it said: "Not detected or disabled".

I am unfamiliar with most of the things in the BIOS [and don't remember how to get there]--is there a place i need to go to "enable" the Intigrated Graphics by checking a box somewhere?

My local computer wizard got me set up with what were to be drivers for the mother board, but the set-up program for that said "The current opperation system supports the Intel chiposet devices on your system." and refused to change anything.

So: I've installed the Proview driver, the correct monitor is listed as working, and as far as I know, I have the correct chipset drivers--but few colors.

Perhaps a major clue is that I have a big Yellow [?] question mark in the device drivers under the "Other" catagory but the computer doesn't tell me what it is, and can't find the driver on the Windows ME disk. How do I go about getting that reconciled? It had to do with either the sound or graphics, but I've left those notes ...PCI device [?]

Audio problems, as well:
The only periferal cards added to this system is a Riptide [PC 80079 rev C] audio card. I have installed the downloaded driver for the sound card--but am still having audio problems as well: my Audacity music recording progarm keeps freezing up after 2-12 seconds, when recording [only]. This I have recently alleviated by lowering some kind of "accelerator" in the control panel's microphone properties--so that is some kind of clue to somebody who knows. ..but not me.

There is an "audio riser card" which plugs into the sound card. This riser card seems to have no components on it, but appears to be mainly the plug jack for the line-in/mic/line-out.. I tried to find a driver for the numbers on it, but no one seems to have heard of the numbers. It appears to have a logo the reads: SFN. Does this "riser card" need a driver?

Another clue might be:
Upon installing the anti-virus program it gave me a window saying "several graphic card drivers contain programming errors. A faulty driver will cause any application which reads a certain mamory block to crash". .. The sound card driver I downloaded matched the numbers down to the revison letter. .and I tried two different downloads of that---If I got the computer hooked up to the 'net, can you direct me to some kind of driver scanning utility to find what kind of drivers to get to reconcile that big yellow question mark in the system devices?

So: my monitor is only outputs the minimum, There is a big yellow question mark in the device manager, and my audio recording has a conflict.

This is my first attempt at salvaging a computer and my pronunciation of the word "Frustration" is going to have about fifteen sylables by the time I'm through, I'm afraid. ..so I do appreciate any help you might have to offer.

Thanks,
J.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
ech....really long to read h ehe

you should go to the hp website and download the graphics drivers there for your video card (this will let you adjust the colors and what not)

where did you get the drivers for the sound card?

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
All cards and other devices need a driver.

I believe you downloaded the wrong driver for the sound card.

funnybone

funnybone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello again.

Thank you both for taking my plight as your own. I have made progress in my absense and have more documentation to perhaps shed a light on the situation. ..and a j-peg screen-shot of my device manager if I can attach that somehow.

The monitor is working now. I had been misled by the term "chip-set". I took that to mean both the big chips on the Asus MEB-VM 1.00 mother board, so I did not bother to get a driver for the smaller [Rage 11C] chip. That turned out to be the missing graphics interface. So I am encouraged to at least be able to amuse myself with a clear-picture monitor while I scratch my head about the rest of the glitches.

If indeed all cards need a driver, then I need a driver for what looks to be a SFN "Audio Riser Card" [into which my microphone/line-in/line-out plug] The top of the card has a little spinner-shaped logo that appears to read SFN then the number:

66VO
94v-o
9851 on this top side it calls itself an "AV Riser Card"

On the bottom side, it calls itself an "Audio Riser Card" followed by the number:
5064-8577 Rev. A

As I am having trouble with a recording program crashing every time I try to record--but not playback, a driver for this microphone jack may very well be the problem. ..and will remain so, unless you can help--I was unable to find any response to 5064-8577 Rev. A on a Google search. or on this site here, for that matter.

Your suggesting that I'd gotten the wrong sound card driver was vindicated--I installed a different copy of the same download, and the windows media player now reads files. My recording program still crashes though. ..so there is no telling that I've got exactly the right one. Microsoft's little recording program thinks everything is fine, as does it's audio test in the microphone tab.

So something is still wacky with the sound input, I believe--so if someone could please find a driver for that "Riser card" or tell me how to find out how to discover what that big yellow question mark [listed as "PCI communication device" in my device manager is all about. I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks,
J.

Attached Thumbnails

• Device_manager__by_connection_.jpg

Attached Files