Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format Laptop

• Please log in to reply

joejobs

joejobs

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Hi,
I have an HP Pavilion dv4000 and am having problems with connectivity to inernet.
First: The icons are not working since they don't show the status of the connection and do not respond to commands like disconnect or disable.
Second: Wireless will sometimes work and sometimes will not, it is also having trouble connecting in public portals.

I tried fixing it with iconfix.reg, but the problem persists.

It has been a year since I bought my laptop so I think it is a good time to format the hard dirve and reinstall all the components.

What worries me is that if formatting the hard drive will wear it out gradually or make it loose functionality. My guess is that it will wear it out with each format.

Please guide me with these procedure since I have no idea how to format the hard drive and the consequences it will have!!

Thank You Very Much

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got an XP CD, recovery CD or recovery partition

Have you got all installation CD's or access to downloads for all the programmes you need to run

joejobs

joejobs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I have all the original cds unopened from when I bought the laptop.
They include operating system CD, application and driver recovery, HP quickplay, and some other applications.
I have a back-up of all documents in another PC.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the laptop, keep tapping the delete key (possibly F2) until it enters set up, change the boot order to CD ROM Drive the Hard Drive ©, press F10 to save, type Y, load the XP CD and press enter

Have a look through this and post back if you need anything

http://www.theelderg...l_-_graphic.htm

Figure 3 will have:

to install without repairing press esc - press esc

You won't see figure 5

For figure 6 press D then type L to confirm, leave the dot in default format (not quick), this takes a minute per GB of drive, (approximately).

You carry on from figure 11

joejobs

joejobs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Set-up ended with one error, it needed eabfiltr.sys. The keyboard does not work, I guess thatust be the reason why.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
EABFiltr.sys file information
The process QLB PS/2 Keyboard filter driver belongs to the software Quick Launch Buttons by Hewlett-Packard Company (www.hp.com).

Description: File EABFiltr.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 7432 bytes (57% of all occurrence), 7080 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. The program is not visible. There is no detailed description of this service. File EABFiltr.sys is not a Windows core file. It is a trustworthy file from Microsoft. Therefore the technical security rating is 21% dangerous.

You can get the software here

http://h20180.www2.h...a...&submit.y=6

Select the exact model and XP

joejobs

joejobs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Thank You.
Up to now things work fine.
I will see if there are any functions not working and go back to the page you posted.
Luckiloy I had a usb keyboard and mouse and were able to solve the problem.
Thank You for the help!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
HP are good with providing software, and they have live chat which is a good feature

Thank You for letting me know