Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having some problems with display and sound

• Please log in to reply

callmethor

callmethor

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi all...
i recently removed some viruses and malware
but before i did..
i was having display and sound problems..

Display is stuck at 16 colors
ive tried everything i could to change it back to 256
but it wont budge

my sound is completly not working..

someone please help!!!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There are so many computers that the only way to determine what drivers you need is to know who made the computer or what motherboard is being used. If the computer uses a sound card you need to find out who made the sound card. Same thing with the video drivers. On-board drivers will usually come from the motherboard website.

SRX660

callmethor

callmethor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
well...its all windows stuff...
heres some things i found out rtunning tests

*Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance.

Windows Millennium Edition was unable to identify a real-mode driver or memory-resident program loaded in your Config.sys or Autoexec.bat file. You will see another message that lists the name of the driver or program causing the problem.
Because Windows Millennium Edition could not identify the driver or program, it has switched to MS-DOS compatibility mode to ensure the program will run. However, this decreases overall performance. To improve performance, remove the program or driver causing the problem, or contact its manufacturer for an upgraded version.

Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.

This problem often occurs on more than one drive. Usually it is caused by a driver listed in the Config.sys file that Windows Millennium Edition does not recognize and that is related to the message Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance. If you see both messages, see the Help for the Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance message first.
If you only see the message Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system on one drive, that drive is using an MS-DOS compatibility (real-mode) driver, which might reduce that drive’s performance. Contact your hardware manufacturer to see if an updated driver is available for your drive. If not, the drive’s performance might be less than optimal, but you can still use it.

callmethor

callmethor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
this really sucks....my computer was fine
then one day it just stopped working right..
like i said.....
there is no sound
and my screen wont go above 16 colors now

IT WASNT ALWAYS LIKE THIS...
it was most likely caused by a virus
it somehow hijacked my windows
settings....

any info on what i can do would be helpful

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you do not help us by telling us what kind of computer you have or what motherboard is in the computer we cannot help you with your problem. Complaining about the same thing without giving any information is useless. If you do not know how to tell what your motherboard is state that you do not know how. We can help you find out information about your computer but you have to help us to do so. We cannot read your mind. Osmosis does not work over the internet. Without any information there is nothing we can do.

SRX660