Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe error on startup

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Any chance it works like it does when booted to XP?

Try Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. See if that gets you there.

I've not built or used UBCD4WIN for some time now as my systems have been very stable but I vaguely remember doing something like that.

I'm in the process of downloading the latest v3.12 which I'll then use to build a new UBCD4WIN iso image.

Advertisements

jsinnola

jsinnola

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I can't get windows up at all, which is why I created the UBCD iso disc.

Now with the CD in the drive it will go to an option menu. If I select the first option it then asks me to enter an XP Professional SP1 cd. I don't have one and am wondering if there is anything I can do.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you don't have a XP CD, how did you build the UBCD4WIN iso file?

Did you follow the instructions on the UBCD4WIN web site on how to build it? It's very, very specific and detailed:
http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm

Edited by Ztruker, 13 March 2008 - 06:21 PM.

jsinnola

jsinnola

• Pip
  • 3 posts

If you don't have a XP CD, how did you build the UBCD4WIN iso file?

Did you follow the instructions on the UBCD4WIN web site on how to build it? It's very, very specific and detailed:
http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm

I built the CD with an XP Home edition because I do not have a copy of XP Professional on hand. I figure this is likely the problem.

The comp is a Dell, how can I go about getting the correct disc without forking over a ton of money?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, I just built the latest UBCD4WIN, burned a CD and boot the CD.

It should come to the first menu which is a 3 second countdown where you can choose the Desktop you want to use. If you do nothing it defaults to Nu2........

The next thing it does is ask if you want Networking support.

What SP level is the XP Home CD you used at? If it's at SP1 and the XP on the hard drive is at SP2, that may be causing your problem, though I'm not sure as I don't have access to a copy of XP Home to try.

From the "How to build" section:

2. Windows® XP CD, with at least Service Pack 1 (SP2 is highly recommended)
If your CD does not have SP1 or SP2 included on it you can easily "slipstream" a Service Pack using a program called AutoStreamer. Instructions for slipstreaming are on the "slipstreaming" page of this site. Do not use a source that was "modified" by programs that claim to stream hotfixes or drivers into your XP CD. Only use a true XP CD or one that is slipstreamed properly with only an official Service Pack from Microsoft.

TIP- Unsure about what Service Pack your CD has? Look at the root of your XP CD for files ending with a .SP1 or .SP2 extention. Whichever extension you find tells you what Service Pack is installed on your CD.

I also posted a question in the UBCD4WIN forum about this. Will post response here if/when I get one.

Edited by Ztruker, 13 March 2008 - 07:33 PM.

Adx

Adx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys.I just read your forum 'cause I have the same error.Unfortunately, I don't have xp cd.Pls say whether there is another way than reinstalling xp or removing hard disk?

Muu

Muu

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Working Solution! - Without swapping HDD, re-installing windows or losing data.

Hi folks, I recently had trouble with the registry in Win MCE. - Missing '....config\system' on start-up.
I couldn't use the recovery console as Windows was not detecting my RAID NTFS HDD.
I followed the MS instructions.... which created the new problem "lsass.exe, password not valid, reboot).

This is what worked for me.

Requirements:
1) System Restore enabled in windows.
2) NTFS Dos Pro and a Boot CD/Disk - Preferabbly Hiren's Boot C (which is loaded with all the apps you need). Hiren's Boot CD (http://thanki.tk or torrentspy.com)
3) Don't use the system.bak file located in windows\repair.
4) Don't assume that either of the _regis~1, ~2, ~3 or ~4 files in a RP\Snapshot folder are the registry files you need - they are not.

Steps.
1) In your BIOS, set 1st boot device to CD.
2) Reboot with Hiren's Boot CD (or similar).
3) Load NTFS DOS Pro. (in the NTFS Ext2Fs Tools menu on the Hiren CD). You can skip Checkdisk
(use pro instead of regular NTFS as it lists long file name details)
4) Once loaded, the 2nd last line of text indicates the new temporary drive letter of your HDD, in my case D:
5) switch to D:
6)i) You will probably have short file and folder names displayed instead of long when you 'dir', however the full name appears once you are in the directory.
6ii) type (without quotes ' cd system~1\_restor~1\rp95\snapshot '
(RP = restore point, the higher the number the more recent the rp. if this doesn't work for you, try a lower/older number).
7)type ' dir/p ' to list the files in the directory. (use /p, not /w for this)
8) Look through the text (file details) on the right to find ' _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM '. Look across to the left, this is the file size (which should be fairly large, eg 5,365,760 in my case). To the left again is the actual file name, in my case ' _r62e7~1 '.
9) You may need to tap the space bar again to finish listing all the files.
10) Once at the command prompt, type ' copy _r62e7~1 d:\windows\system32\config\system '
11) Overwrite = Y
12) Reboot (CTR+ALT+DEL)
13) Load windows.... sucessfully hopefully.

If this doesn't work for you, try;

A) Reload NTFS PRO, go back to the same RP\snapshot directory and copy the following files (copy the actual file name, not the details text).

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_DEFAULT

copy (overwrite) the above files to their corresponding file in the config directory (step 10). eg _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTARE copy over ' software '

Above are all the files that Microsoft recommends you overwrite..... however MS caused my lsass loop in the first place!

B) Try copying the _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM from another restore point directory.

Thank you to ealier contributor's in this thread who pointed me to the restore point directory, I would still be stuck if not for your posts. Previous methods in this thread may work for other people, just not me with my setup.

I solved my lsass issue last night, after stressing out for a day. So I thought I'd join this forum just to ad the process that worked for me. If the above steps help even 1 person then I'm happy.

- Good Luck.

This works for me also.
Altho part 1 failed for me, part 2 A worked well but the instructions were tricky...
My computer wouldn't use the directory you gave so I had to use each of them by part.
Also, you misspelled one of the directory... -> cd system~1\_restor~1\rp95\snapshot -> It's cd system~1\_resto~1\rpx\snapshot
First of all, if that directory didn't work, do each word by piece.
Example, my drive was E so I switch it by typing E: then I did E:\>cd system~1, after E:\system something\cd resto~1 and I stop there.
I type dir to see my rp numbers (Each RP number has a date, pick the one you think it's good, my RP number was 1114, so rp1114).
I type cd rp1114, then I type cd snapshot (for some reason, it didn't work when I type cd rp1114\snapshot)...
Then I follow the rest of part 1 without problem.
This is what I did in my case if you are having trouble understanding like I did.

Part 2 A was the one that saved me but it would be better if you did part 1 too.
A good example of what you should type after reputing the directory back to snapshot is to type copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE e:\windows\system32\config\software. He meant that you should replace the last directory by the last name of the file you copied.
Like these are the commands you should have typed...
copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE e:\windows\system32\config\software
copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM e:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY e:\windows\system32\config\security
copy _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT e:\windows\system32\config\default (It wasn't _REGISTRY_MACHINE_DEFAULT)

I hope I explained my point of view clearly enough.
Thanks again for this great solution, you saved me.
This method saved me from buying an external hardrive. :)

Edited by Muu, 23 October 2008 - 08:39 AM.

anarchy86

anarchy86

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Working Solution! - Without swapping HDD, re-installing windows or losing data.

Hi folks, I recently had trouble with the registry in Win MCE. - Missing '....config\system' on start-up.
I couldn't use the recovery console as Windows was not detecting my RAID NTFS HDD.
I followed the MS instructions.... which created the new problem "lsass.exe, password not valid, reboot).

This is what worked for me.

Requirements:
1) System Restore enabled in windows.
2) NTFS Dos Pro and a Boot CD/Disk - Preferabbly Hiren's Boot C (which is loaded with all the apps you need). Hiren's Boot CD (http://thanki.tk or torrentspy.com)
3) Don't use the system.bak file located in windows\repair.
4) Don't assume that either of the _regis~1, ~2, ~3 or ~4 files in a RP\Snapshot folder are the registry files you need - they are not.

Steps.
1) In your BIOS, set 1st boot device to CD.
2) Reboot with Hiren's Boot CD (or similar).
3) Load NTFS DOS Pro. (in the NTFS Ext2Fs Tools menu on the Hiren CD). You can skip Checkdisk
(use pro instead of regular NTFS as it lists long file name details)
4) Once loaded, the 2nd last line of text indicates the new temporary drive letter of your HDD, in my case D:
5) switch to D:
6)i) You will probably have short file and folder names displayed instead of long when you 'dir', however the full name appears once you are in the directory.
6ii) type (without quotes ' cd system~1\_restor~1\rp95\snapshot '
(RP = restore point, the higher the number the more recent the rp. if this doesn't work for you, try a lower/older number).
7)type ' dir/p ' to list the files in the directory. (use /p, not /w for this)
8) Look through the text (file details) on the right to find ' _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM '. Look across to the left, this is the file size (which should be fairly large, eg 5,365,760 in my case). To the left again is the actual file name, in my case ' _r62e7~1 '.
9) You may need to tap the space bar again to finish listing all the files.
10) Once at the command prompt, type ' copy _r62e7~1 d:\windows\system32\config\system '
11) Overwrite = Y
12) Reboot (CTR+ALT+DEL)
13) Load windows.... sucessfully hopefully.

If this doesn't work for you, try;

A) Reload NTFS PRO, go back to the same RP\snapshot directory and copy the following files (copy the actual file name, not the details text).

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_DEFAULT

copy (overwrite) the above files to their corresponding file in the config directory (step 10). eg _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTARE copy over ' software '

Above are all the files that Microsoft recomends you overwrite..... however MS caused my lsass loop in the first place!

B) Try copying the _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM from another restore point directory.

Thank you to ealier contributor's in this thread who pointed me to the restore point directory, I would still be stuck if not for your posts. Previous methods in this thread may work for other people, just not me with my setup.

I solved my lsass issue last night, after stressing out for a day. So I thought I'd join this forum just to ad the process that worked for me. If the above steps help even 1 person then I'm happy.

- Good Luck.

hey man looks like youve helped more than just one person... im one of those whose [bleep] was saved by your solution #2....

thanx a lot!!!!

take care!

number9XD

number9XD

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just had to register to thank all those who provided solutions to this problem. AND to give a MUCH simpler solution that I stumbled on.

I spent the last 4 hours reading this thread, trying to download UBCD4Win, NTFS Pro, and other tools mentioned here to no avail and much frustration.

I was working on my mother-in-law's desktop running XP Home with this issue. I removed the drive from here machine, slaved it up in one of my machines and accessed the System Volume Information directory, navigated to the restore directory, then selected a RP directory a day or two before her problem began. I made a temp folder on my desktop and copied the following files to it.

_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM

I renamed the above files in the temp folder I made to the file names below...

DEFAULT (***EDIT*** I renamed this file, but didn't copy it to the C:\Windows\System32\Config folder)
SECURITY
SOFTWARE
SYSTEM
SAM

then I copied them to the C:\Windows\System32\Config folder, put her drive back into her computer and booted it up. Simple as that.

Basically, I did parts TWO and THREE of this MS article from windows explorer instead of the recovery console.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Lisa Renee

Lisa Renee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ZEM,

Thank-you for writing the original post! I am having the same problem, during the same stage of start-up. Unlike you, however, I am computer stupid. :) I read the first three pages of this thread, and it made my head spin. Could you post the response that helped you recover a functioning computer, and also the one that helped you recover your files (if they are different)? My partner is more computer saavy than I am, maybe I can get him to fix it for me with the right instruction.

Advertisements

Supermastermo

Supermastermo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is happening to me for the First Time ever (Talking to you on second drive) and Every time I boot the XP CD and Repair it finishes the First Part of the Repair (DOS Looking Setup) then The Second Part were you enter your Serial Number Before it loads it gives me lsass.exe and reboots .. Ive Repaired my Disc with Data Life Guardtools from WD (Since my Both HD's are WD) and then Repaired with Chkdsk off CD

Helpp I dont wanna wipe cause i gotta alot of data to transfer and I dont want to

Thanks

Please Reply A.S.A.P

P.S Cant boot into any other mode

SmileyBri

SmileyBri

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just wanted to say thank you and add my 2 cents.

Getting the files from a restore point rather than the repair folder worked for me as well. I used Knoppix to boot the system, mount the HD in edit mode (right click the hda on desktop and select mount and then right click hda again and mount in read/write mode).

Then I had a GUI to remove the four files, copy from a restore point the four files and rename them.

SWEET!

GregM2

GregM2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just registered to thank all those who have posted on this thread. Even though it is an old thread, it is still a great help.
I had this problem on my daughter's computer and had never seen it before. Fortunately, I have another bootable drive in her computer and was able to get in that way. Her main boot partition had 8 KB spare. Yup, just 8 KB. The recycle bin had over a GB of stuff in it. I cleared the bin, switched back to the main boot partition and the error message disappeared. So this error message is not always what it seems.

Thanks again.

Greg

gomel2003

gomel2003

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi there;

I was browsing your thread in search of an answer to this very problem, and I would like to say that there are some very good answers.

I would just like to suggest something I did just recently

Run off a live cd like Ultimate Boot CD :
http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm for instructions on how to make one
Boot to this disk, run registry restore, select a date that is a couple of days before problem, then whammo you are fixed
I had this exact problem and had it fixed in less than an hour, without reinstalling or difficult manual copying

Dude you have saved the day, I just registered only to say thank very very very much. I've tried everything, and this is the only solution that seemed to have worked for me, I'm now able to log in to the system, it is really slow right now, but I'm guessing its because its restoring, hopefully it will go back to normal once i restart it.

Thank you again.

Alan Benard

Alan Benard

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you so much for the information in this posting! You all saved me a lot of grief, and my streak of 10 years using Win 98 and XP with no format/reinstalls is unbroken. :)

And this despite having no Recovery Disk at all -- HP doesn't provide them. I was fortunate to have a second machine with a floppy drive at my disposal, but the resource I'm about to mention can also provide you with a bootable CD-ROM image, if you only have that option.

I learned about the following site from my Computer Tech courses at Washtenaw Community College in Ann Arbor, Mich.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm .

For only $4, I got access to just the tool I needed: A MS-DOS boot disc that could see the NTFS C: drive and allow me to replace the corrupted system files. There are many, many other useful items there, including the aforementioned bootable NTFS CD-ROM image.

With this, I deleted (using deltree, del doesn't work) the following files from C:\windows\system32 :

smss.exe - Session Manager
win32k.sys - Win32 subsystem
csrss.exe - Win 32 subsystem
winlogon.exe - Logon screen, etc.
services.exe - Services Controller
lsass.exe - Local Security Authority

All these files run after you see the Windows XP splash screen (which indicates ntoskrnl.exe has run okay). Whatever did in my system creamed most of these files -- I tried to make backup copies of them, and DOS told me: "Memory Blocks Have Been Destroyed." (!)

I then copied the Service Pack 3 version of each of the above files from

C:\windows\servi~1\i386

to

C:\windows\system32

Booting XP after this got me to the lsass.exe error message, which brought me to this forum, which brought me to the Microsoft pages mentioned above in this thread:

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting http://support.micro....com/kb/307545

and

How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder http://support.micro....com/kb/309531/.

I followed this to the letter, and -- despite having an HP OEM drive -- it worked just fine. :)

Thanks a lot for hosting this forum and for being the top Google hit for this error message.

Alan

Edited by Alan Benard, 06 January 2010 - 12:48 AM.