Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstallation of Photoshop CS2

• Please log in to reply

stevelinley

stevelinley

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Geeks,

When trying to uninstall Photoshop CS2 on my Sony Vaio Laptop, the wizard keeps on getting interrupted before uninstallation is succesfull. I have cleared my computer of all photoshop files and it still won't uninstall.

I have recentley aquired a copy of Adobe Creative Suite CS2 and want to install everything through that .exe but it is recognising i already have Photoshop installed and therefore won't let me install it through the CS2.exe.

Is there anything you can recommend as it is really fooking me off now! I have bought a book for Photoshop and want to do the tutorials etc included but really don't want to have it as a seperate installation.

Why do computes have to be soooo annoying!?!

All your help would be mucho appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
SteveLinley

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you check the programme files and programme files / common files folders

stevelinley

stevelinley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Keith,

I did a search of all drives for 'photoshop' and deleted everything.

SteveLinley

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click start, type regedit then press enter, click the + next to Current User, click the + next to software, click the + next to Adobe, is there anything for photoshop

Same thing with the + next to local machine

stevelinley

stevelinley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Indeed there was. I have deleted them both, they each had a subfolder so that went too. Will try to uninstall again now and post when done.

Thanks so far.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope that was the reason

Optionally, you can run through this, did the search include hidden and system files?

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

stevelinley

stevelinley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Keith,

Still no luck removing Photoshop after taking all of your recommended steps.

Is there any information i can provide you with to make it easier for you?

What would be interrupting the uninstalltion wizard? All i want is to get this program off my computer so i can install it through my CS2 Suite .iso with the rest of the components. This is going to be one of those frustrating problems (not that it isn't already after a week of trying to banish it from my system!)

ARRRRRRRGH!

SteveLinley

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The usual reason is an insistent log file which remains in the programme files folder, even after add and remove

Click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for adobe, also photoshop, CS2 to see if you get anything

Adobe nearly always puts something in the common files folder

Click start, My Documents, tools, folder options, view to put the dot in show hidden files, click apply then look at the programme files folder

Click start, my computer, double click local disc C

Look in, documents and settings, all users, application data

stevelinley

stevelinley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Keith,

Yeah, done that. The only thing is i have Adobe Audition and Premiere installed and don't know what i can delete without causing problems to these pieces of software.

I have deleted everything with photoshop and CS2 in the name as i have uninstalled the other components from my CS2 installation.

So all i have now is the above mentioned. But still, in add/remove i can't get rid of the Adobe Photoshop program. The system recognises there is nothing there as next to the name in add/remove there is no file size at all!

Please please please can you find a solution for me, i fear for the safety of my laptop!!!

SteveLinley

stevelinley

stevelinley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Kieth,

I've been using a virtual drive, from which i installed Photoshop initially. And this is also where i had installed the CS2 suite (i have removed this now until i can get rid of this photoshop issue).

When i searched this drive i did find some photoshop files but i was unable to remove them as the were read only, or the drive was or something.

How would i delete files that have been loaded onto this virtual drive?

SteveLinley

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Unlocker from my signature, install with the add to context menu option, reboot

Right click a file, click unlocker, choose delete

stevelinley

stevelinley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

Have just re-installd virtual drive z: and searched again for files containing 'Photoshop'. I found a .msi file and right clicked, which in turn gave me the option to uninstall, i did this and it has worked! :whistling:

In middle of full CS2 suite installation as i type. YES!

Thanks for your help anyway, it's always good to learn new things, which i always do from you guys!

SteveLinley

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know