Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help with Floppy Drive

• Please log in to reply

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I am trying to create a startup disc for my OS but when I go to create it I keep getting

Disk initialiazation error. Setup cannot properly initialize the disk you inserted

When I try to use a program from bootdisk.com I get

Disk error in track 0 head 0 Floppy error.

When I try to format the disk

Can't format the disk. Either the selected capacity is not valid for the disk or disk is damaged

Here is the brand of Diskette I have: http://www.provantag...66~73MDS19X.htm

Can anyone give me an idea of what might be wrong? Is the disk space too little something like that...

Edited by plehsdeen, 08 August 2006 - 03:30 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Disk you're trying to use is damaged. Throw it away.

when you get errors referring to issues with Track 0 Head 0 on a floppy disk, the disk is therefore totally unusable and Windows refuses to play with it any longer.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
So I have 11 broekn Diskettes :whistling:

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
If you have 11 disks with the same problem, most likely it is a problem with the floppy drive or the cable to it. Try formatting the disk on another floppy drive and see if that works, just to ensure that the floppy is ok. If it works, you need to look at the drive itself.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hmm I thought the drive itself was alright. When I put a write protected floppy in the drive it was able to signal that it was write protected.

Edited by plehsdeen, 09 August 2006 - 06:44 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Write protection is set by a plastic tab on the disk. The drive uses purely mechanical means to determine whether the disk is write protected - i.e if the plastic tab is closed or open. This has no bearing whatsoever on the drives ability to read the disk, nor does it indicate that disk (or drive) are working correctly.

Kemasa's advice is absolutely correct - test the floppies by attempting a full format on another drive.

If the disks are OK, then check the connections on the floppy drives ribbon cable & check the cable itself for damaged or severe kinking before chucking the drive away & replacing it.

Let us know what happens first though before you start replacing bits of hardware!

Edited by Samm, 09 August 2006 - 07:51 PM.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Try using another computer with a floppy drive and see if that's working.