Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply

Sitalee

Sitalee

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have a laptop with windows xp.. it came with a norton anti virus cd so I installed it and there was a firewall on it that crossed connections with my windows firewall so it blocked the connection. I was told to delete the norton anti virus program so that I would be able to get my connection back but ever since then my computer has been slower then it was when I first got it. I've had it for about a year now and it's been like this ever since the norton thing. I've done daily virus and spyware scans since and even after that it's been acting weird... if anyone knows anything about this please let me know..

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click run it now

http://service1.syma...n...v=&osv_lvl=

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download, and run this

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

Sitalee

Sitalee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
oh my god thank you.. I hope it works but there is a problem... I don't have the xp cd.. or any cd that came with the laptop.. I lost them :whistling:.. so what do I do!!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run the scan anyway, click skip if it asks for the CD, if it asks a few times, click cancel, this establishes missing files, in which case you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD from a friend

Sitalee

Sitalee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Do disk defragments usually take this long? :whistling: I did the disk clean up already so now I'm doing the disk defragment so before the next step should I wait until the defragment is finished?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Better to

Sitalee

Sitalee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay well it seems like even after I took your advice nothing seems to have changed. My computer is still running slow. I was reading and I came across a program where you can delete unwanted files that doesn't allow you to erase them because they are runned by another person or program. Called unlocked or something?? I appreciate any help that you can give me. I am just wondering if unused/undeleted files could cause my computer to perform slower....and if not then I'm wondering what else could be the problem. Because I know that in my program files there are a lot of old files that I have deleted in add/remove programs but they are still in my program files. I've tried deleting them but I'm not sure if I'm doing it the proper way so if there is a different way to do that please let me know. I deleted the norton, did a disk clean up and a defragment the last thing I was supposed to do needed the cd.. so.. I just pressed cancel and it still scanned files..but I don't know if that did anything.....

...... :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, click disable all, then tick the entries for the firewall, anti virus and any anti spyware programmes, click apply and reboot

Sitalee

Sitalee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I don't know which ones mean the firewall, anti virus and anti spyware. Can you be a little more specific as to what it would say? Is there like a chat we can talk in besides replying back and forth????

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if you can borrow a same version XP CD so the scan can replace the files

Which firewall and antivirus have you got

Sitalee

Sitalee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well I started with Norton, then it varied from ewido, avg and a bunch other I downloaded in the past year and recently deleted. Now I just have avg because I deleted ewido and norton thanks to your help. I also use zone labs/zone alarm.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
zlclient for zone alarm

can you see, avg, ewido etc

Sitalee

Sitalee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I found the zone alarm and avg ones. I use ad aware too would that be in there? Can't see the ewido one, it was deleted so would it still be in there?? And would Clean up be in that category?? Say if I just ticked the zone alarm and avg one and then rebooted.. what would that do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That would give you the firewall and anti virus

when windows gets to the desktop, tick do not start the configuration utility

If it doesn't improve things, run msconfig again and put the dot in normal start up on the general tab, click apply and reboot