Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installed Win XP and now I have no network or internet.

• Please log in to reply

ck_evac

ck_evac

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I was running Win 98SE on an old laptop that I had. It was on my home network and was working fine, I didn't use it much, but it was a handy extra internet connected computer. I had a different computer die on me that I used regularly and so I decided to upgrade the 98 machine while I try to fix the other one. I installed XP on the old laptop and it seemingly went prefectly well. The computer boots up with no errors or problems, but I couldn't connect to the internet to activate it after the installation. I tried everything I know to get the network working but I'm at a loss. It says it's connected but the number of packets sent and recieved stays at zero. It's not hardware related because it was working an hour before. It was only after I installed win xp that it went screwy.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanx,

Ryan

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you install any XP drivers

ck_evac

ck_evac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm not exactly sure wjat you mean. I installed the drivers for the NIC.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you know the address for the set up page, possibly if you type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press enter, does it connect to the set up page

ck_evac

ck_evac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It does not connect to the setup page. It's weird, because I have a wireless router and I tried to connect both wired and wireless and still nothing. I even tried connecting it to the DSL modem directly, and that didn't work either. When I connect it to the router with a cable it says it connects, but no packets are sent or recieved. When I connect wirelessly it does not even detect any wireless networks in the area, while my other computers detect 3 wireless networks. It's almost like win xp is blocking all networks on this machine.