Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I left my comp on at the time when Windows Defender was scheduled to run a scan, and when I came back into the room the following error message was on my screen: "Windows Defender encountered an error: 0x8050800d." Presumably it showed up at some point during the scan and interrupted the scanning.

I clicked on "ok" and tried opening Defender, and everything worked fine. I changed the time for the scheduled scan and waited to see if it would start up again. It did, but no scanning window was visible.

So my question is this: When Windows Defender runs a scheduled scan, does it open a window that shows the scan progress or does it just run as a background process (MsMpEng.exe)? and does it display a window with scan results?
Because I see neither the scan progress nor the results window, but the home screen of the Defender interface shows that a scan took place.

I've only had Defender for a short time and can't recall its behavior during previous scheduled scans. :whistling:

Thanks in advance.

Edited by CelestialTeardrop, 08 August 2006 - 10:35 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should only see it if you want to, it hasn't been updated or there is something found during a scan

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

You should only see it if you want to...

So there is a way to customize the scheduled scan to show the progress and results regardless of whether it found something or not? If so, how can I do that?

Thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, click windows defender

You can do this either during a scheduled scan or whenever, to run a manual scan

Otherwise, it would only appear during a scheduled scan if it found something

If you click tools, options, you can set it to always show in the tasbar

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Oh, ok. I noticed that it can be opened via the start menu during the scheduled activity. I guess I still have the older version (Microsoft Antispyware) in mind and the way it would always pop up for the scheduled task.

Thanks for the info. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No problem

Suppose not seeing it at all because there is nothing wrong is the better thing