Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Powering Troubles

• Please log in to reply

LT.JG_Pliskin

LT.JG_Pliskin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I own a Saitek X-52 HOTAS Joystick (http://www.saitekusa...SA/prod/x52.htm) and about a month after I bought it, it stopped working. I bought it last October and around the late November area it slowly started to die. First it started with my Joystick (not the throttle) turning on about 60 seconds later than the throttle, than the stick started to flicker on and off, and eventually after about 15 days it just wouldn't turn on anymore. I've been led to believe it's a problem with the power output on my USB ports. I'm 99% sure I don't have any USB hubs because I don't think they are built into the computer, and I don't remember buying any, and no hubs are visible from the external PC case. Why do I think this? Well I've ran several tests and noticed many things that I'd like to list here, but before I get started let me explain a little bit about how the stick gets it's power. In a short explanation there is a connector cable, identical to the ones that connect from your PC to the mouse and keyboard, same pins on the plugin and everything, it even fits into the slot. You plug the cable into the stick and run it to, and plug it into the throttle. The throttle then has an already mounted cable that plugs into a USB port. When this is done the stick's power light is not on, non of the lights on the button's/toggle switches turn on, and its non-functional in game. However, when I route the connector cable from the stick to the keyboard slot, the power light turns on, same with a smaller "mode" light towards the top, and the button lights flash for a half a second, almost as if the stick works fine, but my output's aren't strong enough for it. Is there anyway I can configure the amount of power being send out of the USB's from home? Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
i have had a similar problem with a USB external HD. Normal USB ports will only supply 2.5 watts of power(0.5 amps @5 volts). If your device needs more You can try two things. You can double up on the USB ports by tying 2 together. One of my external HD with a laptop drives does this. The other method is to find out what amps is needed to power your game pad kit and buy an ac adapter that you can hook into it. You can get adapter plugs at radio shack to hook into your power line. You will need a bit of knowledge on soldering and wiring to do this. You can buy ac adapters with various amps and voltages to suits your needs.

http://www.action-el...m/acadapter.htm

One other thing is that some front usb ports cannot seem to sustain the 2.5 watts. Try plugging into the usb ports int the back that are connected to the motherboard directly to get full power.

I also have one external laptop HD that is powered by the PS2 port . These ports are rated the same as USB ports(0.5 amps @ 5 volts). The adapter i have plugs between the PS2 port on the motherboard and the mouse or keyboard is plugged into it.

SRX660

LT.JG_Pliskin

LT.JG_Pliskin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So basically this isn't something I can do from home? I've tryed plugging it into every one of my USB ports, and even tryed un-plugging some other tihngs that may have been sucking up to much power.

The X-52 takes 5V DC to operate, and has a 500mW Power Consumption. I dunno how much power my USB ports put out.

PS: I don't have any advanced wiring knowledge.

Edited by LT.JG_Pliskin, 09 August 2006 - 04:52 PM.