Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Active Directory

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I want to have two identical DC's. One is on site and working, one is offsite as a backup. Is there a way I can copy the FSMO roles to the offsite server without losing them on the working, online server? Can two copies of the roles exist?

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
is the off-site DC actually active and connected to the domain? or is it dormant and just sitting there?

i would think that if this DC is a PERFECT clone...it shouldn't need to be active to remain as a backkup (as long as it can be brought online within the company's downtime limit) because if you're keeping proper backups of the primary and the secondary is configured correctly...in the event of the primary going down..you would just need to restore the most recent backup to that server and bring it online thereby making it the primary

also..i believe when you have multiple DC's in a domain, when you set them as replication partners..these roles are automatically replicated between the two (i've got two DC's that are always on and working in tandem...DC1 does nothing but be a DC...DC2 is the backup DC and also runs some other services such as my antivirus and desktop authority servers...in the event that DC1 is unavailable...DC2 automatically takes over...so if i turn DC1 off...it's irrellevant) and in the modern AD structure...the transfer of control is theoretically seamless since there is no real PDC, BDC structure...all DC's in an active directory domain are PDC's

could be wrong...and might not be your desired setup..

http://support.micro....com/kb/324801/ (how to transfer the fsmo)
http://support.micro....com/kb/255504/ (using ntdsutil to sieze the roles)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223346 (general fsmo info)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
This is my fault for not being more clear. What I am doing is there is going to be two sets of all of our servers. One in house and one offsite. So I made the one a DC but I am trying to install Exchange on another offsite server that is using the offsite DC. It fails the FSMO Check in DCdiag. All of the offsite are completely seperate from our online servers and cant be put on the same network due to name conflicts.

Hope this helps.

I checked through the KB's my question is if I transfer or seize the FSMO from the online, will it remove it from the online DC? Can I transfer or seize the FSMO roles from the online and just copy them offline without interruping my current domain.

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
from all that i'm seeing...Especially for siezing...is that...it makes the original FSMO null and transfers it to the new one...there's no architecture for copying it (that i can see) you would think that rebuilding the domain (or restoring from a valid backup) would restore those as if it were the same machine...

how did you go about copying the original machine over to the new one? just by restoring backups? i wonder if a bitwise Image would work better? like making an EXACT server image (with something like true image or something like that) would acomplish this better than restoring from a backup?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I havent restored from backup yet, but I think that I should now. I just built it from scratch as a backup DC, then took it off the network and tried to promote it. I will try the backups out and see how that goes.

Thanks