Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CLUELESS....( computer running slow)

• Please log in to reply

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi forum
:whistling: My computer is running slow when i start it up and shut it down it takes a long time
I have a medion Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz.448 MB of RAM computer the only things that is runinng in the background is Norton antiviris 2006 with firewall and Aol Spyware Protection. I also have an external 250GB hard drive and a floppy drive any help would be appreciated

Scottish cougar :blink:

Edited by scottish cougar, 09 August 2006 - 08:51 AM.

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Hi forum
:help: My computer is running slow when i start it up and shut it down it takes a long time
I have a medion Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz.448 MB of RAM computer the only things that is runinng in the background is Norton antiviris 2006 with firewall and Aol Spyware Protection. I also have an external 250GB hard drive and a floppy drive any help would be appreciated

Scottish cougar :)

HI scottish cougar
:woot: Welcome to G.T.G please try and be more Pacific does this also happen when opening and closing programs and files Etc try and be more detailed when explaining your problem. that way the staff techs and member's can assist you better good luck.

Cheyenne 09 :whistling: :blink:

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi cheyenne 09
:blink: Thank for your reply my computer runs really slowly when I go in and out of programs and when i double click on anything it can take a minute or so before it does anything this has been going on for about month and my computer is only 4 months old so please any help would be greatly appreciated as i have no idea what to do about this as I have just started to learning how to do things on my computer. Thank you

scottish cougar :whistling:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
1. what sort of maintenance are you doing...if you do not do a defrag and chkdsk, minimally once a week, this could be a problem...I do mine daily

2. what sort of reg editor do you use...if you do not have a good one, and run it before and after the install of any new progs, and save a restore point at the same time, this may cause a problem.

I can recommend...

a] Registry First Aid as my first choice and
b] Norton's WinDoctor as my second choice...
c] PCBugDoctor, third...
d] followed by RegMechanic, and
e] other bits and bobs

I run all at onc point or another, the first two at the same time and go play a Windows game while they are sorting my mess out

3. what sort of anti-virus/malware progs are you using, and are you keeping it updated at least 2-3 times a day...sound like this might be the issue...I have an use PC-cillin...have for many years...of course the free AVG is excellent. Don't forget SpybotS&D and SpyWare Blaster

4. how much RAM do you have...today's software seems to like about 512 to feel comfortable...or it may be me that wants that much

5. how high have you set the capacity on your L1/L2 cache files, where windows dumps stuff that does not fit in the RAM...set it increasingly larger and test to see if it makes a difference

6. check the systray...close down every prog running in the back ground that you do not need on a regular basis for your sanity

7. check the registry run folder and runonce folder to see if there are progs set to run in the background that are not noted in the systray, and delete the once you feel are not needed

8. got a couple of good trojan removers... Windows Defender? Trojan Remover? a-squared? etc.

9. other's suggestions to add to the list? ...

Add these together and you have one heck of a slow tortoise of a computer...until all is reset...

...Al

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.stevengou...ftware/cleanup/

that will give it a good cleaning

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

http://www.stevengou...ftware/cleanup/

that will give it a good cleaning

:blink: Hi b1caezo1 & Rushin1nd
I have norton 2006 anti-virus & firewall, aol spyware and c cleaner. I run these daily i will look into what you suggested.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
dont forget to defragment your computer

on this computer im using i have norton 2005 thats updated to 2006 ive also disable the live update cause its running in the back ground i always check for updates or allow it to run when im not using it it can update its self that way

so its good to know what type of programs that are running in the back ground live updates or other programs some just freeze the computer

hows your java is it updated

http://java.sun.com/...loads/index.jsp

i have 1.5.0 version that too is updated to 6

myself im on dial-up so until i get hi-speed i just put up with some of the slow websites some have just losta stuff on them and when your at 28.8 kbps it does take awhile for pages to load

lorothrigs

lorothrigs

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
If you think you've got an infection, then please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

Edited by lorothrigs, 14 August 2006 - 02:10 PM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Any improvements?

It is assumed that you are running XP...n'est pas? NT [New Tech]? Large or small HD? Lots of RAM? Big caches? It all helps.

I am not a great fan of Norton. It is a resource hog...just my opinion, mind you. Too many bells and whistles that only a paranoic would need...again, my opinion. Get as much free ware as you can, much simpler, as they do not have all the bells and whistles and fancy graphics that need energy to run. There have been a lot of good suggestions in various fora at this URL...on http://www.geekstogo.com...so try as many as you feel you can and keep the best...do a lot of testing when you have some spare time.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

I am not a great fan of Norton. It is a resource hog..

I second that and add it breaks often and it doesn't play well with others.

Norton antiviris 2006 with firewall and Aol Spyware Protection.

If you insist on paying for an Internet security suite get one that works, Trendmicro. AOL Security is provided by McAfee, it and Norton conflict and both leave things behind that AVG finds and AVG is free. AVG gets overlooked because of the Free veersion but it works and is less resource heavy. Grisoft resently aquired Ewido and this can only help to improve the pro version of AVG which again if you have to pay for it get something that works.

Free antivirus:
AVG
Avast

Free anti spyware:
Adaware SE Personal (pro version available)
Spybot Search & Destroy
Ewido (fourteenday trial then on demand)

Free firewall:
Zone Alarm
Kerio 2.15 is still available and effective

Advertisements

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi silverbeard
unsure: sorry for not getting back to you but i haven't been well lately any way. I am still having the same problems when the computer starts it takes about five minutes before it gets to the desktop and longer when i shutdown at night I downloaded AVG i also have norton firewall and antivirus 2006 and the antivirus scans arent finding anything i also have ccleaner which i use daliy as well as the antivirus scans is there anything else i can do to solve these problems also i am a novice at this so please give easy instructions. Thank you

Edited by scottish cougar, 09 September 2006 - 12:14 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sorry no one has gotten back to you scottish cougar...

Uninstall Norton Firewall and Antivirus. (Make sure you also uninstall LiveReg and LiveUpdate if they are listed in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel).

Once both of those are uninstalled, report back with how your startup and shutdown times are doing. If they are back to normal, we will work on getting you a different firewall program if you so desire. If the startup/shutdown times don't change, then we will move on to other possibilities...

Fenor

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi fenor
:blink: Thank you for your reply i have done what you suggested and uninstalled my norton antivirus and firewall and the live update and that has helped it is now alot quicker than it was so was norton the problem. I do now need a new firewall and antivirus as i am now not protected while posting. Thank you so much for your help

Edited by scottish cougar, 20 September 2006 - 04:18 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes, Norton was the problem with slow shutdown and startup. The reason being that it runs a scan of your computer when it boots up and when it turns off. You can disable this, but I feel it's better to just remove Norton because quite frankly it isn't that good of a product and is a major resource hog as well.

Before we get you a firewall program, lets get you an A/V program to replace Norton. I recommend that you use AVG, which can be downloaded from http://free.grisoft.com

Once you have that downloaded and installed, we can move on.

Fenor

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi fenor
:blink: Thanks for your reply i have downloaded and installed avg antivirus and run it as you suggested what should i do next about a firewall and is there anything else that i need. Thanks for all your help.